• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Anxiety Disorders

Anxiety disorder does many things to an individual, which causes the individual restlessness, sleepless nights and undue body fatigue etc. I notice my own anxiety disorder when I am simply thinking and feeling restless due to incident I couldn't manage properly.
Their are numerous ways I...
Shortie Having anxiety and having an anxiety disorder are separate things. I suffer from anxiety most of...
I recognize I'm posting this while likely being the lone trans person active on this forum, and that's absolutely fine, but I wanted to put this out there anyway.

Within the past couple of months I have had to go to the Emergency department 3 times, and indeed over the course of the last...
PGen98 Yeah, I'm in support groups, as well, and it is reassuring, but it doesn't change much when...
What strategies have you found helpful for managing anxiety? This could include mindfulness techniques, exercise, therapy, medication, or anything else that works for you.
Lee [QUOTE="JustSomeGuy, post: 136014, member: 479"] You and me both. Almost 4 years ago we used to...
Do you have any favorite books, websites, apps, or other resources that have helped you better understand or cope with anxiety? Share them here!
lavalamp Exercise actually really helps me, even just going for a walk if I can't do anything else. I...
Yes I have. I usually get them when I am in crowds of people so I tend to avoid busy places.
Shortie I have had many panic attacks in the past and they are never nice to deal with. I had one that I...
Hi all I'm so fed up of this anxiety I've Honestly had enough today, I feel like everything is going wrone, I have a job interview tomorrow for weekends my partner which was my ex we are now sorting things out and he said he would watch the kids for me so I could go it's in the afternoon though...
Shortie It's understandable that you would feel anxious considering the amount of pressure you are under...
One of my friends suggested I to visit Europe for a spa stay and for holidays. Is it Useful for reducing Anxiety? I am feeling Anxiety because of the load of my work and my boss.

Did anyone try the medical spa? Is it helpful for Anxiety patients?
Shortie You could very well be suffering from anxiety due to your boss and the workload you have as...
I have no issue with anxiety, however, my spouse suffered from anxiety for a long time. Even though she has managed to control her anxiety, she still gets anxiety attacks whenever she is exposed to painful and frustrating situations or disturbing images. I have always been very supportive and...
Shortie I wouldn't say that anxiety affects my relationship badly but it has been known to worry my...
For me, mines a bit of a mixed bag. I can always remember as kid, I was in Norway and I got 'trapped' under a bit of water which made me think I was drowning. Funny part of that was the water was actually only a couple inches deep, I was just being an idiot kid panicking haha. However, since...
Shortie I have quite a few phobias myself, some of which I have had all my life and others that I...
How many panic attacks do you have a day?

I haven't had many panic attacks in my life, but when I did have them, it was after I had a cycling accident. When my daughter had panic attacks, she would have a couple a day. I helped her get through them by reminding her they wouldn't last. "How do...
Shortie I am very pleased to be able to say that my panic attacks are not as bad as they used to be a...
According to a study, 10-30 percent of Americans have sleeping problems due to Anxiety. The anxious thoughts at night stop people from getting sleep. Psychologists have suggested a couple of things in order to deal with nighttime anxiety, such as:
Recording thoughts on a diary
Cognitive...
Shortie I am someone who suffers from anxiety and I have had many sleepless nights due to overthinking...
What generation do you think has the most anxiety?
Shortie This is a tough one as I know many people who I grew up with who suffer with quite severe...
My neighbours decided to start playing dub step music on full pelt and it really triggered my anxiety and I’m not one for confrontations so I ended up feeling burnt out from anxiety and I’ve slept two days straight and not got much done, it’s the same neighbours who asked me if they could repair...
Shortie Nosey neighbors are some of the worst, I have one myself who lives opposite me and she is always...
I have gone through the family manipulation, workplace abuse and also gone through various other social issues. I had over a period of time developed the restless feeling whenever I feel something that I can't deal with say "fight or flight" mode. When I am helpless in both situations then it...
Shortie I have felt like this myself a few times, it really is a horrible feeling that you can not seem...
Do you cry ? Do you cry when someone is watching you ? I feel that almost all stress related issues go away if we cry enough. Even if you do it in your private space.

I like crying like a child when I am alone. Thanks to god that I didn't have to do it anytime recently. But if things go...
Shortie I wouldn't say that I cry as much as I used to when I was younger and I feel that is because I...
I have experienced this recently. I went to the restaurant. And it was full. None of the people there were solo. And that caused a lot of anxiety to me. I have noticed that when the people are full in the places. It becomes kind of feeling of spaced out and leads to anxiety atleast for me. I...
Nomad I had this issue when I was in my early teens but I gradually overcome my issues as I grew...

What Is Posttraumatic Stress Disorder?​

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a psychiatric disorder that may occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event such as a natural disaster, a serious accident, a terrorist act, war/combat, or rape or who have been...
Maul I've had PTSD all my life after childhood abuse. It's been quite challenging to deal with but I...
Believe it or not, there are actually several beneficial character traits which a person can develop as a result of their anxiety and they can use these personality traits to their advantage. Several of the personality traits which shall be detailed within this article can be employed to allow a...
L [QUOTE="Nomad, post: 134825, member: 394"] My wife has a history of anxiety, Luckily, whenever...
I just joined, my main vex over the past years has been the pandemic. It messed my head up. Lockdown was stressful and unnatural. We are pack animals, isolated we are quite sick. I felt the sickness from isolation and now I'm finding it hard to do certain things. I avoid crowded areas...
CatSic Found the 'Covid' arena.
Have you noticed that your OCD has gotten any better or any worse with age?

There were things I used to do as a kid that was borderline OCD but I've grown out of them. It took a lot of effort in making new habits so I wouldn't do those same things. I really don't even think about them anymore.
Lammchen Have you noticed that your OCD has gotten any better or any worse with age? There were things...
Agoraphobia is a type of mental health problem where a person gets fear of open spaces because person think there is a chance of having terror to these open spaces.

Because of this fear the person usually avoids to go open and public places such as fair, market, train, bus, flight, shopping...
Lammchen When my daughter was first born, I hated leaving my house!! I was worried about bad things that...
While anxiety is a necessity for people to some extent, heightened anxious systems cause physical damage and impact life choices, making it important that they don't go untreated. The problem is, is that symptoms associated with anxiety attacks can be subtle, making them difficult to recognize...
Lammchen A friend of mine where I used to work had anxiety attacks and she said that there were times she...
While panic and anxiety strikes have similar symptoms that there are gaps which you should know about. For example, an anxiety attack is a sudden surge of overwhelming fear and stress that always does occur without the obvious rationale and without caution.

The majority of times these strikes...
Nomad When you have anxiety, you will experience panic attacks, and when you have panic attacks it...
By Tony Galvin

In my kinesiology practice I have treated hundreds of adults and children with anxiety.

I now view all anxiety as a fight / flight response with a background cause, such as trauma, shock or long-term stress. Fundamentally the anxious person is experiencing a lack of safety...
Nomad Anxiety is a response created by your body and brain when you sense danger. If untreated...
whats the intentions of forum authorities here? against me i mean?
Nomad No one is against anybody on this forum. This is a platform to share our inner feelings...
Did you find that the Covid shutdowns made your OCD worse?

Was it comforting during the shutdown to have your OCD take over or did it feel like you were at a loss?

I know of some friends that were on both sides.
Nomad I don't have OCD, but I have some issues with stress, anxiety, and hypertension. The first few...
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is classified as an anxiety disorder, the symptoms become evident and were not present before a violently traumatic event, and you may have found this event frightening, extremely stressful or completely overwhelming.

There are no hard and fast rules about...
Nomad PSTD is a result of some traumatic experience, accidents, pain, etc. It is a very common mental...
Social anxiety disorder is one of the most common types of psychological problems. About 15 million American adults have a social anxiety disorder. Approximately 36% of people with social anxiety disorder report symptoms for ten or more years before seeking help, many just don't know they even...
Nomad I can relate to you in many ways. When I was in school, I excelled in written tests, but when it...
It's something I've always struggled with - I've been working at my current job for two years but I wouldn't say I have actual 'friends', just work colleagues. There are a few people I could probably get on with outside of work but I always feel way too anxious to make that shift and God forbid...
Ravenfreak I try to go to outings with my coworkers and from there I start making friendships. I feel more...
One of my biggest fears is of tornadoes.

I remember when I was little and a tornado went through my town but stayed in the air so we didn't have damage, but the fear my mom felt was passed onto me. It's something I haven't gotten over. To this day when conditions are right, I can feel it and...
Nomad During the last major earthquake, my father and siblings were trapped in the earthquake zone...
You may watch television concerning drug addicts, alcoholics, hoarders and weight loss. All of these conditions have been linked to addiction. Reality TV has taken off with these conditions promoting and capitalizing on intervention type strategies. If you watch the show until the very end you...
Nomad If you have a history of anxiety, you should try to identify what actually triggers your anxiety...
Nomad When you have an anxiety attack, you will not remember what you should be doing, your brain will...
I'm not sure how many of you experience this, but I sometimes get crippling bouts of very sudden onset anxiety, not triggered by anything or in response to any sort of event. This can be unnerving, obviously, as it isn't just a case of being a bit nervous, but full blown anxiety, panic almost...
Nomad Start a breathing exercise. Sit relaxed, eyes closed, take a few long breaths, then close your...
Do they flag up every conversation the person having the checks made, had with the police?

I'm getting myself worked up and worried cause last year a family member kept getting arrested and once in that time frame, the police did a interview with me

started off in my home but i kept getting...
Nomad I don't know how it works in other countries, however, in my home country, if you are the...
Hi guy hope your well
I’m really struggling today with my anxiety I feel so fed up every day is a battle I try everything and nothing appears to work we’re so u get more help and support
Nomad I know what anxiety can do to your body and brain. My spouse has battled with anxiety for a long...
Back