• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Noise Anxiety

I suffer from noise anxiety. It most likely stems from the 12 months of noise that I was tortured with from thugs that moved next door to me and had amps and mikes through which they rapped almost 24/7. It took me a long while, but they were eventually evicted when Environmental Health were satisfied they were 100% anti-social and despite warnings and court orders being issued against them, they ignored them, and suffered the consequences as a result. However, their invasion of my personal space left me suffering from noise anxiety. Now, whenever there is unexpected or sustained noise that is out of the ordinary, I get hit with this again.

It happened again to me last week when my upstairs neighbour had her family and grandkids visiting. They were shouting, screaming, banging on the doors, floor and radiators and the four adults did nothing to curtail the noise. When I confronted the neighbour on the Monday to express my concerns I was greeted with "You're the worst neighbour I've ever had" and then she stormed off muttering "I'm moving". Now, don't think me unreasonable because I know kids make a noise when they're playing, but this went on for 7 hours and my personal space was contaminated with their noise. I couldn't go out because it was throwing it down with rain, and even if it wasn't, why should I be chased from my home because of inconsiderate people.

When I checked in with our housing officer, I was told that it's in all of our tenancy agreements that we are responsible for any visitors and to ensure that they do not cause undue disturbance to other residents. I would happily point this out to my neighbour, but she won't engage with me. It's OK for her and her family to disrupt my life, but I'm not permitted to make any comment on it.

The place where I live BTW is for older people (you have to be over 55) with mainly occupancy for single people; there are a couple of flats for two but rarely are they occupied by two people. Basically, it's a retirement community.

I've had no disturbing noise since that incident, so I'm hoping my neighbour realises how foolishly she reacted and that we can move forward positively, but I'm not holding my breath. Some people just think the world revolves around them, and them only.

I don't have anxiety from it, but I hate noise, so I get that part for sure. I live in the country and it's so peaceful, until the neighborhood kid starts riding his ATV or mini bike. Then I can't wait for him to go away to college...probably 5 more years????

Is there a department you can contact about your neighbor in case it happens again? Maybe let someone else approach them since they aren't very considerate of others anyway?

Is there a department you can contact about your neighbor in case it happens again? Maybe let someone else approach them since they aren't very considerate of others anyway?
If it happens again, I will make a formal complaint to my landlord - they will have to take action if I do this. Failing their cooperation (unlikely), my next step would be the Environmental Health Department who, strangely enough, have more powers than the police in these circumstances. They will write to the offender telling them they must not cause a disturbance of this nature as it is classed as antisocial behaviour. If they have to write again they may issue a noise abatement order, if they ignore that then it will be a court order and then eviction. I've diluted the process as it can take up to 12 months to resolve, but hopefully a word from my CHO (Community Housing Officer) will sort it.

So far, there has been no further disturbance since the initial incident. I hope it stays that way. These flats are designed for older people (hence minimum age to move here is 55) and not as children's playgrounds.

I empathise, I really do Dave. I can often find myself overwhelmed by noise and have to remove myself from the situation. I am also a father to four small kiddos and I can also relate to absolute disaster that can be the noise of multiple children together.

One thing I will say, is that the more you tell them to be quiet, usually the louder they get - that is how children are. Maybe they should meet up with Grandma in a more neutral and acceptable place.

Maybe they should meet up with Grandma in a more neutral and acceptable place.
I would have suggested this if the tenant had taken the time to engage with me, but she just stomped off as soon as I mentioned noise. Some people like to dish it up to others, but can't take it back - very inconsiderate and hostile. No accounting for some people 🤷‍♂️

I feel for you, I have noise anxiety too. If I'm hearing strange noises it gets me on edge. I'm always afraid that someone is going to break in.

Noise can have a heavy impact on your well-being, especially when it is generated by someone else and you can't escape it. It increases anxiety, nervousness, heart rate rises, blood-pressure rises and the level of irritability can fly off the scale. If those generating were subjected to it from an external source, I doubt they would be happy about it, yet they are quite happy to inflict it on others. Try talking to them about it, and anyone would think they were the victim rather than the perpetrator. Sad world we live in - bring back the 60s and 70s; they may not have been the best of times for many, but people were more caring and considerate back then.

Sad world we live in - bring back the 60s and 70s; they may not have been the best of times for many, but people were more caring and considerate back then.
You're not lieing the world we live in is insane. Kids used to be safe going to school. But these days you have to worry about if someone is going to do a school shooting and if you're kids are going to make it home alive.