• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Anxiety: Coping Mechanisms

Lee

Administrator
What strategies have you found helpful for managing anxiety? This could include mindfulness techniques, exercise, therapy, medication, or anything else that works for you.

I'm very lucky to have my own space with no one else to distract me. I turn everything off and sit quietly and meditate - I drift off. I do have to be careful where I'm meditating, so I tend to lie down as I often fall asleep and it's not good to do that when sitting in a chair. Peace and quiet, for me and emptying my mind of all thoughts is the best way out for myself.

I have a decent size property (a bit over one acre). It's not quite meditating but once a day I will wander into the forest and sit. It's quiet, peaceful, and the wildlife is calming to simply observe.

I have a decent size property (a bit over one acre). It's not quite meditating but once a day I will wander into the forest and sit. It's quiet, peaceful, and the wildlife is calming to simply observe.
Sounds lovely. I do the same thing in our public park, but not as often as I would like.

Sounds lovely. I do the same thing in our public park, but not as often as I would like.
I've always found that spending as much time outdoors as possible has helped ease my mind so I try to make a conscious point of grabbing that opportunity whenever possible.

I've always found that spending as much time outdoors as possible has helped ease my mind so I try to make a conscious point of grabbing that opportunity whenever possible.
I love outside. I would live outside if I could, absolutely. I love wild camping and used to do it frequently before children.

I will likely start again soon now that my kids are getting to the age where they can come with me. There is something relaxing about walking and then just "setting up home" somewhere in the wilderness.

There is nothing more calming than nature. It must be wonderful to amble through the forest and enjoy the wildlife and natural beauty of nature. Does it have any water flowing through it or nearby - that would be stunning to just sit and listen to the water.

I love outside. I would live outside if I could, absolutely. I love wild camping and used to do it frequently before children.
You and me both. Almost 4 years ago we used to live in a fairly large city centre where the only noise was cars and sirens, not at all calming. We since moved to a rural nature oriented location and it's the best decision we ever made.
I will likely start again soon now that my kids are getting to the age where they can come with me. There is something relaxing about walking and then just "setting up home" somewhere in the wilderness.
It is definitely relaxing. If you've never had the opportunity to go portaging I would highly recommend it. You basically traverse via canoe through a vast network of rivers and lakes, setting up camp a different place each day.
Does it have any water flowing through it or nearby - that would be stunning to just sit and listen to the water.
There are two sources of water you can actually hear from the forest, one is a small creek with a slight trickle. Another 5 minute walk away is a river that are effectively rapids.

I also have this beaut 20 minutes from home. There are days I've just spent hours here.

1707928733315.png

You and me both. Almost 4 years ago we used to live in a fairly large city centre where the only noise was cars and sirens, not at all calming. We since moved to a rural nature oriented location and it's the best decision we ever made.

It is definitely relaxing. If you've never had the opportunity to go portaging I would highly recommend it. You basically traverse via canoe through a vast network of rivers and lakes, setting up camp a different place each day.

There are two sources of water you can actually hear from the forest, one is a small creek with a slight trickle. Another 5 minute walk away is a river that are effectively rapids.

I also have this beaut 20 minutes from home. There are days I've just spent hours here.

View attachment 2289
100% jealousy from me right now

I like to be in the room alone or I like to try and sleep it off. I had super anxiety last night and couldn't sleep. But I ended up passing out for 4.5 hours today and slept most of the day away which is depressing. 😥