• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How Do You Handle Sudden Onset Anxiety?

PGen98

Administrator
I'm not sure how many of you experience this, but I sometimes get crippling bouts of very sudden onset anxiety, not triggered by anything or in response to any sort of event. This can be unnerving, obviously, as it isn't just a case of being a bit nervous, but full blown anxiety, panic almost, like I need to get away from the situation, but there is no situation to get away from.

If you do have this issue -- how do you best deal with it?

I started to feel it more and more recently due to me overworking myself and stressing out about things that are not important. The more stress I put myself under the more frequent the attacks are, hence I tried to make everything seem less important than it really "is with that is it important in a month, is it important in a year, is it important in 5 years?" tehnique.

Start a breathing exercise. Sit relaxed, eyes closed, take a few long breaths, then close your right nostril with the thumb and then take a long breath from the left nostril, hold for 1-2 seconds, and release the air from the right nostril by closing the left nostril. Then, take a long breath from the right and release from the left. Trust me, five minutes into this experience nd your anxiety will be gone.

I get like that right before I have to go to a public place with a lot of people. Which makes it suck worse when I have to do it because I have to deal with pre anxiety and then the real anxiety, so it's double as bad for me.