• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Does anyone else always worry about the absolute worst case scenarios?

With my anxiety, it seems to manifest in ways of worrying about scenarios that are probably 99% not going to happen. I'm talking like a volcano erupting lava around me as I stand in the middle of England, miles and miles away from the nearest such volcano. Oftentimes, I find myself getting so wound up in my own head over such silly scenarios that it stops me from doing what I need to be doing, if only for a few minutes. However, that worry -and I presume - the 'rush' and adrenaline from such a worry stays with me for longer. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
Oh absolutely! I think most people that have anxiety issues struggle with fear of the irrational, it's quite common to wonder about 'what ifs' and whether this is going to happen, or if I do that will it result in something horrible happening? I can't even go into a takeaway to pick up food without fearing that, if there's more than one person inside, my life is somehow in jeopardy, which isn't even remotely logical. It does get the heart pumping and it makes you irrationally anxious for a long period afterward. It's something I believe most people with anxiety issues deal with on a fairly common basis, sadly.

Thanks for your reply @PGen98 - I totally understand your example of popping into the takeaway and fearing, I can certainly relate! Every time I walk down the road to my workplace, I always fear that anyone I see on the way is going to turn around and stab me or something. I think that particularly stems from when I got mugged a while ago but the more 'out there' fears have become less frequent as time goes on, as do most things I suppose. I'm lucky in that I don't need to medicate myself to cope with this so I always feel for those who do as I imagine their fears/anxiety must be worse than mine!

Thanks for your reply @PGen98 - I totally understand your example of popping into the takeaway and fearing, I can certainly relate! Every time I walk down the road to my workplace, I always fear that anyone I see on the way is going to turn around and stab me or something. I think that particularly stems from when I got mugged a while ago but the more 'out there' fears have become less frequent as time goes on, as do most things I suppose. I'm lucky in that I don't need to medicate myself to cope with this so I always feel for those who do as I imagine their fears/anxiety must be worse than mine!
Wow, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that experience, and I can absolutely understand how it would make you anxious to walk down the road after that! Hopefully this fear does indeed diminish in time, as I'm sure it's hard one to cope with! Anxiety in general is not fun, but when it stems from a past experience and fear of it happening again, it brings back that horrible imagery to make it worse. You're right, it is nice that you don't need to medicate for your anxiety and can cope without it, that's a great sign and it seems you have everything well in hand to manage moving forward.

What actually inflates the emotions is not the scene itself. But the fear that engulfs us. We can get consumed by a small entity like an ant. What if.. comes to play all the time. And then the fear comes into play. It will double everything. The fear, the scenario, the details, the danger and the consequences. Sometime consequences worry us more.

This is one of the problems I am battling with. I always imagine being in the absolute worst-case scenarios. I imagine being robbed, I imagine being assaulted, I imagine being in a road accident. I don't know how these thoughts come to me, maybe these are just my mental reactions to stressful conditions.