• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

General Mental Health Chat

Sometimes people's mental health will change if there is a diagnosis of illness/disease. Is it easily recognizable? Should treatment wait until after treatment for the illness/disease?
lavalamp [QUOTE="Dave, post: 135989, member: 462"] I have so many issues brought about through age and my...
If you are experiencing strong emotions like anger, frustration, pain, etc. how do you channel your emotions. In other words, what do you do to normalize yourself when you are angry, frustrated, feeling excruciating pain, etc. I started writing a long time ago in order to channel my emotions...
CatSic Mental pain I tend to try and talk myself out of the 'Cul-de-sac' of torture. Affirmations and...
Have you realized that if you have a hobby it can actually help you to overcome or manage stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions? Let's say you know how to draw. When you are depressed, you can start drawing. This will help you to pass your time creatively which...
Nomad Have you realized that if you have a hobby it can actually help you to overcome or manage...
When my spouse was suffering from a general anxiety disorder, my sister's husband suggested water therapy. Even though my wife was under medication, she still felt worse. Therefore we were interested in trying alternative therapy and water therapy actually worked. Have you tried water therapy...
Nomad When my spouse was suffering from a general anxiety disorder, my sister's husband suggested...
In recent times, social media is becoming one of the common causes of anxiety. People feel pressurized to perform better on their social media pages, they want more followers, more likes, more views, and more engagement. Do you feel that you need more exposure on your social media pages?
Nomad In recent times, social media is becoming one of the common causes of anxiety. People feel...
After you've let people know about your mental health struggles, do they treat you differently?

When I hear or read about someone's problems, I try to remember that nothing has changed between our relationship. He/she is still that same person deserving of my respect.
Lammchen After you've let people know about your mental health struggles, do they treat you differently...
Fighting without yourself means restricting yourself from doing things that you like doing, avoiding doing things you love or find pleasure in. Fighting yourself means not letting yourself experience what is before you. For example, you enjoy eating chocolates but you restrict yourself from...
Lammchen I fight myself daily with my eating habits. I have convinced myself that I don't want to feel...
Do you know negative thoughts are the rules of evil in you? If you brood over negative thoughts too much you will either become a monster or become mentally sick. How do you remove negative thoughts from your mind? As far as I am concerned, I do yoga and meditation to ease my mind and promote...
Lammchen I think having a lot of negative thoughts can come from a habit of not being able to work...
Making peace with yourself means settling the grudges you have with yourself and letting go of the guilt. How do you do that? Do you find it hard to make peace with yourself? According to Buddha, if you let go of perfectionism and make amendments in life, you will easily make peace with yourself.
Nomad Making peace with yourself means settling the grudges you have with yourself and letting go of...
Vitamin B9 and B12 play the role in the production of serotonin and dopamine, the chemicals associated with brain pleasure and mood. Therefore, B9 and B12 are very important B vitamins for mental health. When you are stressed out or in depression, by taking B9 and B12, you will be able to...
Lammchen Those vitamins are also good for the body all around! I remember when my daughter was getting...
According to a study, Covid has an adverse effect on your mental health, even after you recover from the infection. A study conducted on Covid survivors found that Covid affected the cognitive function of the brain, it took away thinking and decision-making capabilities. Some experts are even...
Nomad According to a study, Covid has an adverse effect on your mental health, even after you recover...
In the last 200 years, our county has never been into a war with any other country, however, the country went into civil war for 10 years. During the civil war, 10 people were being killed every day (by the state army and the insurgents), and the death affected our mental health. Currently...
Nomad In the last 200 years, our county has never been into a war with any other country, however, the...
A binaural beat is a tone created by your brain when you listen to two different tones, on two different years where the tones are at a different frequency. IN 2020, a study was carried out to find out whether Binaural beats help or not. The study discovered that Binaural beats improve your...
Nomad A binaural beat is a tone created by your brain when you listen to two different tones, on two...
ASMR is an Autonomous sensory meridian response. It is a tingling sensation that begins on the scalp and moves down the nape and spine. This sensation can be evoked through various mediums like sounds, activities, hand movements, etc. ASMR is believed to relax you and make you sleep well. Have...
Nomad ASMR is an Autonomous sensory meridian response. It is a tingling sensation that begins on the...
Studies have found that crying releases oxytocin and endogenous opioids. These chemicals help to ease emotional and physical pain. Therefore, crying helps when you are in psychological and emotional pain.
Actully, I know a lot of people who cry as therapy. They weep when they are sad...
lavalamp [QUOTE="NerdiestKen, post: 134128, member: 382"] I believe crying helps to me, because when I...
Do you play a lot of video games? If your answer is yes, I would like to ask another question. Have you experienced any kind of mental issues due to your gaming activities? How do you feel after playing games, especially the violent games where you have to shoot and kill people?
Nomad Do you play a lot of video games? If your answer is yes, I would like to ask another question...
If you are a parent, you might have already experienced how stressful a parenting job is. A certain study finds out that " new parents miss six months of sleep time during the first two years of their kid's life."
Parenting is stressful, but it also gives you joy that is beyond words.
Are you a...
Nomad If you are a parent, you might have already experienced how stressful a parenting job is. A...
Nice little tool to give yourself a self assessment.

Nomad I took the test, it says... you're not experiencing many of the symptoms seen in depression. you...
“The advice I’d give to somebody that’s silently struggling is, you don’t have to live that way. You don’t have to struggle in silence. You can be un-silent. You can live well with a mental health condition, as long as you open up to somebody about it, because it’s really important you share...
Nomad Sadness is a wall between two gardens - Khalil Gibran The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if...
Do you know what smiling depression actually means? It is a term used for people who cannot admit that there is something wrong with them, and they fake smiles to show that they are perfectly ok. It is really difficult to detect depression if people start sporting a fake smile. If you cannot...
Nomad Do you know what smiling depression actually means? It is a term used for people who cannot...
How do you feel when you listen to people breathing heavily or chewing food? Do you get irritated, angry, frustrated? If your answer is yes, perhaps you have a brain disorder. The brain disorder called Misophonia is a condition where people get irritated and angry listening to other people...
Nomad How do you feel when you listen to people breathing heavily or chewing food? Do you get...
This one is in the title really - what insecurities about yourself or fears you hold stop you from approaching people? Whether it's to make a new friend or to try to and grab the number of the person you've got a crush on, what's stopping you? For me, I have a general fear that I will either...
Lammchen I don't like it that I might not make my question or statement very clear. Then I have to stay...
Do you feel that you have an inner critic in your head who's always there to remind you of those embarrassing moments, negative thoughts and so on? I'm a massive fan of talking to myself (when I'm trying to think things through) but that always seems to bring out that inner critic from within...
Nomad I am never too critical towards myself. I never think that I am wrong. I always justify myself...
Most of us already know how important is regular exercise to remain physically fit and healthy, however, not many know that exercise can also do wonders for your mental health. Just like improving your physical health, exercise can also improve your mental health. There have been a lot of...
Sincerem [SIZE=4][FONT=courier new][B]Exercise have really helped when it comes to easing the pressures...
Is that a disease ? I always thought that is someone being smart. This world is not for the weak. Time has proven it many times.

But some people always are hard to believe in. In most cases, their show-offs are brilliant. But that itself is a reason not to trust them.
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]Even if I am trying to be cool, I can never be extra cool, I simply...
May is Mental Health Awareness. What started in 1949, in the United States, is now a global phenomenon. Mental Health Awareness Month was started by Mental Health America Organization. The month of May is used as a month to spread awareness about mental health issues and help people seek help...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]I hope during the month of mental health awareness come May this...
National Institute of Mental Health is a US government agency is to looks after mental health issues in American pipulation. NIH has designated October as...
  • National Depression and Mental Health Screening Month
  • Health Literacy Month
  • ADHD Awareness Month
  • Bullying Prevention Month...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]Its going to 23 years since the world started celebrating it by...
By Kimberly Zapata

Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]Depression never helped at all, I feel bad when I am ddepressed...
I get e-newsletters & one of them was about a Vision Board & I kept the information so I could refer back to it. For those who don’t know what this is, many of us have done it at one time or another. We just didn’t call it that & especially when we were teens, didn’t have this board necessarily...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B]I do vision board by expressing my emotions by putting it down in a written...
When the pandemic first hit back in March 2020 I did not adjust well to life with working from home, caring for my daughter, and home life with my husband. I did not handle the stress very well and I felt obligated to prove my worth at work for fear of losing my job. Speaking with a counselor...
Sincerem I do take health counselling especially when the illness I'm battling with is a strange one. I...
I'm sure we all have those moments where we just need to take a step back from everyday life and give our brain a little reset. I'm also sure that we all have our separate routines and go-to's in those moments to help us take that relaxing period away from everyday stresses. So, how do you...
Sincerem Physical fitness through series of exercise helps me to reboot myself when ever I am feeling...
I have seen certain people who never buy anything. They will look for a pen while in class, textbook and god knows what else. There was a person who used to beg for a calculator from others when it was a critical piece. In simple words, the person is saying that you give your critical equipment...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]Its very awful to acknowledge that, some people doesn't like to own...
Have you ever been in trouble after trying to help others ? It is something that has dreadful consequences. A lot of people associated with people with special conditions are negligent that someone has to step to help in time. But instead of being thankful, they act as if it is the person's...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]It feels bad when you experience mixed time especially when you...
Have you ever spent time in a rehab ? Did it work for you ? What kind of facility was it ? Were you locked up ?

Some rehabs are really helpful. They have a closed area where everyone is free to behave. It is like any other place unless you look for a door out. You will get a TV, prayer room...
Sincerem [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=4]I've never gone to a rehab home or used any of it's facilities...
Sincerem It's kinda nice hearing that your daughter is back home and feeling healthy. At least you aren't...
Back