How do you handle that inner critic?

Martee

Motivated Member
Reaction score
Do you feel that you have an inner critic in your head who's always there to remind you of those embarrassing moments, negative thoughts and so on? I'm a massive fan of talking to myself (when I'm trying to think things through) but that always seems to bring out that inner critic from within. They're there to tell me that my ideas are rubbish, I'll never achieve XYZ and generally how weak I am at getting my own way. I feel that sometimes It's simply a case of me getting inside my own head but I feel like I can never truly 'handle' that self-critical moment without having a bit of a wobble. I can usually put it off and put it off for a while but it always seems to make its way back every now and then.

How do you handle your inner critic?

PGen98

Giving Member
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I don't. I have so many self-hatred triggers that my brain always finds a way to bring me back down to earth even when I'm feeling incredible. That inner critic never shuts up in my head, it's something I'm trying to work on, but personally, I just have to wait for that inner critic to leave me alone so I can try and build myself back up a bit.

safeinsanity

Giving Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's quite common. Especially in people who are verbally/mentally abused with low self esteem. We need to learn how to tell it to stfu!

Harry

Kind Member
Reaction score
I like to blame myself for everything. And I blame this habit too :p

It is human and need a very broad mind to blame ourselves. A very few mighty souls are capable of this ability. The good thing about it is that you will identify your weakness before anyone else and correct it.

Martee

Motivated Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's quite common. Especially in people who are verbally/mentally abused with low self esteem. We need to learn how to tell it to stfu!
I'm with @PGen98 on this one, if only it was so easy haha. I'd at the very least like to be able to take it as some form of self-criticism that is constructive but because it's...myself talking to myself, I just find it hard to push it into the 'constructive' box and rather it becomes destructive. It's a skill like any other thing I suppose and we can only try our best to overcome/adapt to it.

Harry

Kind Member
Reaction score
I am trying to learn how to stop blaming myself, for good reason. Because I got all the blame simply because I am a nice person. In certain line of work, you are not supposed to be honest and kind. But in this case, I am not even honest. That I simply took the blame out of morality and I got everyone else's share too, without invitation.

Top Bottom