• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Aspergers Diagnostic for adults

All my life I've always struggled to fit in, always felt different, like everything that is so simple to everyone else was always a massive struggle for me, which seemed so unfair. When I was 20 in 2008, someone mentioned Asperger's Syndrome to me because of how I had responded to a situation. I had heard of it before, and had friends on the spectrum in school, but had never associated myself with it. I read up about it and suddenly it felt like my whole life made sense. Everything I've always struggled with suddenly had a logical explanation. It felt like a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I spent the next 10 years trying to get somebody to take me seriously. People telling me "What will reaching a diagnosis accomplish? Let's try and find ways to move forward without that", which is absolutely no use to me whatsoever once I've been discharged and have zero long-term support. In 2018 I had to switch to a new GP, and I expressed my concern to her, and how important it was that I had a yes or no answer to this question. She was happy to refer me for an ASD diagnostic, which I was grateful for.

2 years later, in March 2020, I was still waiting for the assessment. I'm not a confident telephone user, so when I happened to be in their building for a psychology session I asked reception how much longer I will have to wait. They told me probably another 6 months. Then the pandemic hit, which I assume means that I still have over 6 months to wait now, when I probably should have had an answer by now if the pesky pandemic hadn't got in the way.

I'm terrified about the process to be honest. Terrified of meeting the people. Terrified that I'll somehow end up sabotaging myself by having 'self diagnosed' and keeping a list of the things I struggle with that make me think I am mildly autistic. Terrified that my struggles just haven't been 'enough' to register on the spectrum. I'm scared that they will say "There is no evidence that you have an autism spectrum disorder" and I'll be left feeling lost and broken, because I've put all my heart and soul into believing this is the explanation for all of my struggles.

Has anybody else been through one of these diagnostics as an adult? Is how I'm feeling natural? What sort of thing does the diagnostic entail, and how long does it take? I'm wondering how it would be adapted for social distancing and stuff like that.

Thanks all

Hi @s_still_here

Sorry I have only just seen this.

My daughters boyfriend was diagnosed with Asperger's just before the Pandemic and he waited 2 years to be accessed because there are so many adults on the waiting list, Every area is different I suppose. Maybe give them a call again to see where about you are on the list.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's in childhood, though I have met other autistic people who have been diagnosed in adulthood. I think what you are feeling is normal. Unfortunately, a professional diagnosis can take some time. The good news is many of the autistic adults I know are very accepting of self-diagnosed people so perhaps you want to try joining an Asperger's Facebook group or something to have some support until you are able to get an official diagnosis.

Hi everyone!

Just an update on this. My assessment has now concluded and I've been informed that the multi-disciplinary team agreed unanimously that I am autistic. It feels so good to finally be validated and have an explanation for all my difficulties!

If anyone has any questions about the process I went through I'm happy to try and share my experience.

It took over 3 and a half years from referral to diagnosis, but I got there in the end!

Hi everyone!

Just an update on this. My assessment has now concluded and I've been informed that the multi-disciplinary team agreed unanimously that I am autistic. It feels so good to finally be validated and have an explanation for all my difficulties!

If anyone has any questions about the process I went through I'm happy to try and share my experience.

It took over 3 and a half years from referral to diagnosis, but I got there in the end!
So glad you've got a diagnosis at last.

Well done for persevering that must have been really tough to go through.

Sending hugs. x

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to hear you finally got a diagnosis! I hope it will provide some answers.