• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Struggling to be away from pets

I have two female cats that are about a year and a half old. Have had them since they were 3 months old.

As I both work from home and have been on mental health leave since October... I've always been close to my cats. Incredibly so with these two. It might sound silly but you could even make a case that they're my best friends.

I'm about to be away from home for two weeks which will be the longest I've been away from them. I leave today and it's hitting me hard.

I'm really struggling with being away from them for that long.

Does anyone have any coping suggestions to get through the two weeks?

It's going to be hard for the first couple of days, but you and they will adjust and the main thing is to focus on that reunion in a couple of weeks. They will be so, so happy to see you and to get you back that it will be an incredible, furry, heart-warming experience and you'll love every second of it ;).

For the first little while, where it's not going to be so fun, try to distract, keep yourself in the moment as much as possible, and reach out to those you trust when you need a boost. A little fun, a little silliness, everything helps to take your mind off of things. After a little bit you'll be ok and you'll be able to settle and focus on the here and now. They'll be on your mind, of course, as they should be, but you'll get through this and get that amazing reunion :)

It is hard to leave our loved ones behind. I miss my cats almost (probably the same :D) as much as my children every time I work away from them.

It doesn't really get any easier I am afraid, all we can do is look forward to being reunited and use the time we do have as well as we can.

Maybe check in every day with the poeple who will be looking after them both while your away? :hug7

That's what I did when I had to be away when Ebony was still here, particularly as Ebony was poorly the whole time I had her - even before she came to me, she was very unwell and the vets didn't expect her to live beyond 2 years, she lived 4 years with me, estimated age was 7 when she passed :hug7

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I've been missing them terribly, it's only been 4 days and still have another 10 to go.

I have been checking in with my MIL who's been looking after them and sending some pictures.

They do seem to be doing well, but it's all still very strange.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I've been missing them terribly, it's only been 4 days and still have another 10 to go.

I have been checking in with my MIL who's been looking after them and sending some pictures.

They do seem to be doing well, but it's all still very strange.
Just remember, 10 more days and you get that wonderful, amazing, furry moment ;)

Are you able to do a video call with them? It sounds off, but animals like that kind of thing sometimes too. That could bring you some comfort.

Nah, they miss daddy
It didn't feel like it. Which honestly really sucks right now because I could use the pick me up, I've been having a really rough 3-4 days and I'm getting terribly homesick.

I'm also in a pretty awful place emotionally/mentally.

My old cat before she passed used to punish me for being away from.home, I really hope that's not the case...

It didn't feel like it. Which honestly really sucks right now because I could use the pick me up, I've been having a really rough 3-4 days and I'm getting terribly homesick.

I'm also in a pretty awful place emotionally/mentally.

My old cat before she passed used to punish me for being away from.home, I really hope that's not the case...
they maybe panicked cause they could hear you but couldn't see you

my girlies are like that, if they hear me and can't smell me they get worried, Willow in particular <3

they maybe panicked cause they could hear you but couldn't see you

my girlies are like that, if they hear me and can't smell me they get worried, Willow in particular <3
That makes a lot of sense actually. Especially because usually if I wake up and start talking to my wife, they'll literally come running to find me...

Maybe they were looking for me actually...

Aw. Just 5 more days...