• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Me and my heart

Lee

Administrator
This could kind of be a long story but I'll keep it pretty brief.

I have chest pain. I have had worsening chest pain since March time. I have been to the hospital easily 30 times for investigation but every time it is ruled none cardiac. I am so dizzy I feel like I will lose consciousness at any minute and I feel like my heart is going to stop.

I've been told I have heart anxiety. I have a phobia of my own heart and I cannot function.

I cant walk, I cant feel emotion - all of these things end with my visiting the hospital with 'heart' pain.

Depression set in quite early on, I am letting my family down by being so selfish, why wouldnt I be depressed?

I would kill myself, but I cant do that to my wife and children.

Therapist isnt working. Medication isnt working. I feel like my heart is failing and because I am only 32 the doctors wont take me seriously.

I have (finally!) been put forward for a CT angiogram within the next few weeks, and I have just had an abdominal CT so that should rule out anything overly serious and hidden.

I cant shake the feeling that my heart is blocked and not working correctly.

I have had the following tests: ECG Blood Tests Echocardiogram 24 hour tape

The doctors think my pains are digestive and my anxieties are adding to it.

I cant remember the last time I had a good day.

I guess I'm having a 'what is the point?' day.

Hi @Lee
Don't think that I have ever heard of heart anxiety.

Do you think that the medication could be adding to the anxiety?

I know for myself that I have a fear in dying young, If I feel unwell then I think that I am dying.

Hopefully the CT angiogram will rule anything serious out.
Let is know how it goes and of course the results.

What helps me is to literally take that step back & think thru this. Even enlist those who trust to help you.
Try to envision your heart as what it's intended for. Get into medical terminology if need be. Imagine it supplying blood to other parts of your body. Think of it as a 'friend'. Someone who is there for you & is helping you. But, kicker is, YOU have to help your friend out. You have to calm down & let your heart do its job so you can do your job- live a healthy life.

What helps me is to literally take that step back & think thru this. Even enlist those who trust to help you.
Try to envision your heart as what it's intended for. Get into medical terminology if need be. Imagine it supplying blood to other parts of your body. Think of it as a 'friend'. Someone who is there for you & is helping you. But, kicker is, YOU have to help your friend out. You have to calm down & let your heart do its job so you can do your job- live a healthy life.
This is excellent advice, thank you :)