• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How do you handle that inner critic?

Do you feel that you have an inner critic in your head who's always there to remind you of those embarrassing moments, negative thoughts and so on? I'm a massive fan of talking to myself (when I'm trying to think things through) but that always seems to bring out that inner critic from within. They're there to tell me that my ideas are rubbish, I'll never achieve XYZ and generally how weak I am at getting my own way. I feel that sometimes It's simply a case of me getting inside my own head but I feel like I can never truly 'handle' that self-critical moment without having a bit of a wobble. I can usually put it off and put it off for a while but it always seems to make its way back every now and then.

How do you handle your inner critic?

To be perfectly honest, I don't. I have so many self-hatred triggers that my brain always finds a way to bring me back down to earth even when I'm feeling incredible. That inner critic never shuts up in my head, it's something I'm trying to work on, but personally, I just have to wait for that inner critic to leave me alone so I can try and build myself back up a bit.

Yes, I think it's quite common. Especially in people who are verbally/mentally abused with low self esteem. We need to learn how to tell it to stfu!

I like to blame myself for everything. And I blame this habit too :P

It is human and need a very broad mind to blame ourselves. A very few mighty souls are capable of this ability. The good thing about it is that you will identify your weakness before anyone else and correct it.

Yes, I think it's quite common. Especially in people who are verbally/mentally abused with low self esteem. We need to learn how to tell it to stfu!
I'm with @PGen98 on this one, if only it was so easy haha. I'd at the very least like to be able to take it as some form of self-criticism that is constructive but because it's...myself talking to myself, I just find it hard to push it into the 'constructive' box and rather it becomes destructive. It's a skill like any other thing I suppose and we can only try our best to overcome/adapt to it.

I am trying to learn how to stop blaming myself, for good reason. Because I got all the blame simply because I am a nice person. In certain line of work, you are not supposed to be honest and kind. But in this case, I am not even honest. That I simply took the blame out of morality and I got everyone else's share too, without invitation.

I wouldn't think much about what others say about me, it wouldn't make me lose a single sleep, or feeling self critics. I can only feel self critic in life when I am a failure, which I don't wanna be.

I am never too critical towards myself. I never think that I am wrong. I always justify myself. This is my major issue.