• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Sometimes I feel guilty for being happy

Does anyone with depression get like this?

I can have bouts of feeling happy, and then it's like I remind myself mentally for no reason "Hey you're meant to be depressed right now, be unhappy"

It is such a frustrating thing.

Well I think its something that happens to people with mental health issues in general.
When I have good days I feel guilty that I have so much therapy since I have this idea that I am fine. When I am whistling and doing chores around the house I think I am not depressed. Why do I complain about it so much.

I think that is the tricky thing with these issues. If your leg is broken its broken all the time. And not 6 days out of 7.
Like it can be with depression or other issues.

So I think you should look at it from the other side. Hey I am having a good moment. Lets enjoy it to the fullest and do something that makes you happy!

Well I think its something that happens to people with mental health issues in general.
When I have good days I feel guilty that I have so much therapy since I have this idea that I am fine. When I am whistling and doing chores around the house I think I am not depressed. Why do I complain about it so much.

I think that is the tricky thing with these issues. If your leg is broken its broken all the time. And not 6 days out of 7.
Like it can be with depression or other issues.

So I think you should look at it from the other side. Hey I am having a good moment. Lets enjoy it to the fullest and do something that makes you happy!
I have been trying to do that more.

I just hate that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me how I should be feeling. It can be hard to ignore your internal voice, but I think you just have to.

I agree, it's something that just about everyone with any sort of mental health issue deals with. "Wait, why am I feeling good about things right now? I don't deserve that!" Well yes, in fact, you do. As Welf said, depression doesn't mean you suffer from it 24/7 365, it's something that comes on in waves, bouts. When it's not dragging you down, it's important to revel in those good moments and not let it pull you under that you're not presently feeling down.

Not letting your brain trick you into feeling bad about feeling good for a change is a very difficult thing to do, but letting yourself be happy and enjoy being happy is very important. A rare appearance from the you that you want to be all of the time, rather than the you that you're forced to be because of depression.

Don't feel bad, embrace it, I have brief bouts of happiness that usually only lasts for an hour to a day. And it's so rare that I cherish those moments when it happens.

Yes, never feel guilty for feeling happy. We all deserve to feel happiness sometimes.