• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Autism High-functioning autism

I suspect I have this, but I have never had the courage to ask a doctor about it.

I just feel like it is a strong possibility. I like repetition and repetitive habits, really dislike change, I have some really bad social difficulties and I am very sensitive. I find I can fixate on something and will obsess over it.

These could just be related to my OCD, but I'm not sure. It feels like there is more there, as I really struggle socially. I'm not too great at reading social cues, either.

Would you not want to know? It could help explain things for you.
When I was diagnosed with bpd a lot of things fell into place.
And I think you deserve to make the most of your life and there are things holding you back. You are to good a person so I feel you should get all the help you can get.

@loneliness it's better to get a proper diagnosis rather than try to self diagnose imo , also we are all on the autism spectrum so not unusual for you to stop some traits in yourself but talk to the professionals they will know for sure.
That is very true.

I will be sure to speak to my doctor about this. I wasn't trying to self-diagnose, I just wanted to go over reasons why I think I could have it. I know doing that too often without seeking professional help can be a real problem.

I have high-functioning autism. I agree you should talk to a professional if you are concerned. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

That is very true.

I will be sure to speak to my doctor about this. I wasn't trying to self-diagnose, I just wanted to go over reasons why I think I could have it. I know doing that too often without seeking professional help can be a real problem.
Hey did you get any further with this?

I have a super dislike for changes. I love the way things are in rythm. I like order in general. Is that a wrong sign ? I mean, who would want to build a country every day? A half example is it ? I meant to say that it is hard to rebuild the way we do things. Like, find a new beautician every time, a new mall every next time we need to buy things and so on. How convenient it is to do things as we have always done, for years.

I mean no disrespect to the condition, but I do not think that it is something bad. A lot of people like that and it is very convenient too.

Anyone has it personally? Apparently, high functioning autistic people like me have no social or communication skills, but have a super ability. For example, for me personally, I can process just about any information in any language in any form, given that it's not talking to the other directly or etc. Other high functioning autistic people have other special gifts themselves, I think that should be put to good use instead of letting them waste it. Wha do you guys think of it personally?

I would go and get the opinion of a psychologist. Sometimes stuff that people do, are just multiple issues that someone might have, but fits the general description of one thing, when it might be something else. My father had a work buddy in the airforce that, he believes may have had it, but because of the practices in the military at the time, he feared suggesting the guy check with a doctor, because of the potential of the guy being kicked out of the military.

My husband has high functioning autism and he struggles right now because he is so burnt out so it is hard BUT he is the smartest person I know and I wouldn’t change him for the world.

I would definitely see a psychologist and get tested. The testing is hard and takes a while but once you get the diagnosis it is not a death sentence. It opens up a lot of support options from the government and elsewhere.