• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Autism Masking your Autism

I don't do this as much nowadays as I have become more comfortable with myself but back in my younger days, and especially when I started working, I always hid my autism and such traits. In effect, putting on a type of mask and presenting myself as a 'normal' person during the day and reverting back to my normal, autistic self when I was home. I did it partially because I didn't want any bullying at school but also because I didn't really want any special treatment just because.

Nowadays, I'm a lot more open and I'm able to accept who I am and that my traits simply make me, me. Has anyone else done similar things as an autistic person? I suppose non-autistic people also do this though!

I'm not autistic, but I do this all the time to this day. I mask 'me' and only open up around very select people, or when I'm alone. It's the sad reality of things, driven by fear of the old proverb of "the nail that sticks out gets hammered," so we all try to be like one another, to seem 'normal' and gain acceptance as a 'normal' person. I believe this is true for far more people than we realize, putting on a 'normal' mask and playing a part, but then becoming themselves again in private or in the company of good friends.

Embracing your true self is important, though, so it's great that you're more able to accept yourself as you are these days. It sounds like you're doing just fine these days :)

I'm not autistic, but I do this all the time to this day. I mask 'me' and only open up around very select people, or when I'm alone. It's the sad reality of things, driven by fear of the old proverb of "the nail that sticks out gets hammered," so we all try to be like one another, to seem 'normal' and gain acceptance as a 'normal' person. I believe this is true for far more people than we realize, putting on a 'normal' mask and playing a part, but then becoming themselves again in private or in the company of good friends.

Embracing your true self is important, though, so it's great that you're more able to accept yourself as you are these days. It sounds like you're doing just fine these days :)
I totally agree - I suppose masking may also play a part in people who are suffering from things like depression/anxiety but just as well via people who simply are having a 'bad' day. Speaking to some staff members where I work (Special Ed. College), we all say that everyone has a "bit of autism" about them. We all have such traits that autistic people do show. I don't mean to diminish the severity of autism that can occur but I believe that to be true in some manner. Some autistic traits just appear to be human traits. For me, autism seems to present as a social thing but in the right situation I'm basically Mr Worldwide but by God is that a draining process. I can't count how often I've had to put on that mask and I've come home absolutely mentally obliterated.

But thank you for saying I'm doing fine - I honestly feel like it nowadays versus the past. I think returning to where I went to college as a staff member has also helped me embrace that. I see myself in the students I work with and I hope I can help them in some small way get to where I am.

I totally agree - I suppose masking may also play a part in people who are suffering from things like depression/anxiety but just as well via people who simply are having a 'bad' day. Speaking to some staff members where I work (Special Ed. College), we all say that everyone has a "bit of autism" about them. We all have such traits that autistic people do show.
I think that's completely accurate. I very much believe we all mask our true selves to one degree or another, that we shut down in certain situations and feel uncomfortable in others. But I also believe it's far more common in people with mental health struggles, whether depression, anxiety, autism, bipolar, avoidant personality, borderline personality and so on, anyone that struggles within themselves is terrified to let the world see that struggle, so they "mask up" (so to speak) to hide as many of those issues inside of them as they can until they can get to a safe space to let go again. Once you know the struggle and have been down that road, you can often times recognize the mask for what it is, a facade to simply get through the experience they're enduring, and if you see someone 'masking' themselves, sometimes you can also make them feel better by chatting with them, opening up to them a bit, and letting them know they're not alone. Does it bring that mask completely off? Of course not, but every little bit helps!

I don't mean to diminish the severity of autism that can occur but I believe that to be true in some manner. Some autistic traits just appear to be human traits. For me, autism seems to present as a social thing but in the right situation I'm basically Mr Worldwide but by God is that a draining process. I can't count how often I've had to put on that mask and I've come home absolutely mentally obliterated.
I'm not exactly well-versed in all things autism, I am aware of it and aware of some the traits found within those who have autism, but it would not surprise me at all if many of the traits of autism are indeed just human traits that are slightly amplified. Social anxiety triggering them is completely understandable, I have severe social anxiety issues, so much so that, while I can talk to you normally here, through a computer screen, if we ever met in person, I'd be a completely different, totally shut down person. It takes me a long time to open up to someone, a very long time, and so I get accused of being rude, of being cold, of being all sorts of things by people who just don't know me. Social anxiety is difficult to deal with, and I'm sure it's even more difficult when coupled with autism, and yes, I can most definitely see how that would be mentally exhausting. That you're able to do that at all is a credit to your resolve!

But thank you for saying I'm doing fine - I honestly feel like it nowadays versus the past. I think returning to where I went to college as a staff member has also helped me embrace that. I see myself in the students I work with and I hope I can help them in some small way get to where I am.
I think that's a fantastic ambition, and you're right, going back to where you want to college and giving back probably is a huge helping factor in why you're so capable today. Knowing what they're going through from having gone through it yourself, coupled with the knowledge that you know you can get there means that you've got insights those students will find extremely valuable on their own journeys to get to where you are. That's such a commendable thing to do, and I think you're an amazing person for looking to give back to students in that manner!

Not only people with special conditions, almost no one will play their cards unless it is time. There are a lot of people around me who I am sure has some really bad trigger points. Because they are so mean and rude all the time that it is 100 % sure that some issues will be there. But no one knows. That is how people are. So if there is something that others can exploit, let us play it carefully.