Eagleheart

Kind Member
Reaction score
I suffer from emetophobia and it has a huge impact on my life. It's so bad that I can't even say the words associated with it. If I see someone being sick on TV I start to feel very unwell and I have to leave the room.
I get into a state of absolute panic if I hear that someone I know has a stomach bug. I will stop eating altogether so that I have nothing in my system and won't have anything to vomit up. Even typing this is causing me to become anxious about it.
Does anyone else suffer from this phobia?

Welf

Kind Member
Reaction score
I dont. But it sounds as if it can be a difficult thing to cope with. I want to ask how you try and cope with it. But Please dont answer if it will make you to anxious.

lavalamp

Community Assistant
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that @Eagleheart . Have you been able to talk to anyone (such your doctor or a therapist) about your phobia?

I think I do suffer from it to a lesser degree, as I really hate being sick to the extent I don't let myself do it even if I need to. I hate the way it feels and how my body feels after.

Eagleheart

Kind Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @lavalamp . I've never actually told my doctor about it because I think he would think it was a silly fear. I hope to discuss it with my case worker but I haven't been seen by her since December.

Catsmother

Thoughtful Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that @Eagleheart . Have you been able to talk to anyone (such your doctor or a therapist) about your phobia?

I think I do suffer from it to a lesser degree, as I really hate being sick to the extent I don't let myself do it even if I need to. I hate the way it feels and how my body feels after.
This is totally me. I hate the feeling of being sick too. Even when my kids are sick I can't look.

lavalamp

Community Assistant
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @lavalamp . I've never actually told my doctor about it because I think he would think it was a silly fear. I hope to discuss it with my case worker but I haven't been seen by her since December.
No worries. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't judge you at all if you wanted to talk to them about it. That's good that you feel able to speak to your caseworker about it, hopefully they can help. At least you can always speak to people on this forum about it if you need to.

Lee

Kind Member
Reaction score
My wife has emetophobia and suffers pretty badly.

I would mention it to your doctor for sure, I dont think they will belittle your feelings.

Lunacie

Motivated Member
Reaction score
I just learned what emetophobia is this week. Dr. Phil had a guest with this phobia. She was getting therapy that seemed to be helping, but because of the cost and time it was difficult to continue. Dr. Phil was going to set her up with a therapist online via Doctor On Demand. I do hope you'll ask your doctor about getting some help with this.

Top Bottom