• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Bereavement

Today I have been overwhelmed by grief about dad. He died 35 years ago when I was just 15. He was my best friend. I don't know why I am so full of sorrow today. I think it's because it's been a stunningly beautiful autumn day here today and we buried dad on a day just like this. I sat in my garden this morning, listening to the birds singing and I had an enormous need for a cuddle from my dad. I remembered the feel of his big strong arms around me and I could smell the scent of woodsmoke and soap that he always smelled of. And the tears came pouring out of me. I was a child again. A child who needed her daddy to make it all better. Grief never leaves you. The smallest thing can bring it right back up to the surface. It is a constant ache.

I don't think you ever need a specific reason to miss him. I find for me its the most randomest of things that make me miss my dad so much. i miss him everyday but i feel like it usually things that people dont think will affect you that triggers you.

sounds like you have so many happy memories of him though, treasure them forever

Thank you both for your replies.
It's definitely little things that bring him back to mind. I want to thank you for understanding. It soothes me to know that I am understood.

I fully understand how you feel. True grief has no time limit. Sometimes time is not a healer. I lost my husband over a year ago after 62 years of marriage. We were together since I was 14. We will always be with our loved ones through our memories that will last forever

Last edited:
I understand how you feel @Eagleheart similar experience with my Mom.
Do take good care and hugs to you
hugging.gif