• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Struggling with eating

I was brought up by people who ate and ate and ate and my dad he made jumbo sized dinners and I struggle with my weight but I’ve gone from one extreme to another, I now calorie count and take it to the extreme and eat less but the temptation is always there to binge eat as I always used to eat when I was down or low and now I just find that I get tired, cold and hungry but I refuse to get back in to that cycle or eating because I’m feeling down,
Today I had 1300 calories all day. I just ate and had 250 calories and maybe it’s low but I was eating 1000 calories in one meal before I started but I think no matter what I do, if I eat or not eat as much I will always have some kind of issue with food and probably have to live with that for the rest of my life, but my weight got to the point where I couldn’t walk very good but now I’m eating less and walking more I can sit and stand more easier but I don’t know what a good balance is and some days I’ve gone as low as 950 calories all day and I’m worried that I’m just swapping one eating disorder for another.

Knock off the carbs and sugar and you won't need to count calories.

It ain't about how much you eat, it's about what you eat.

I've lost more than 70 lbs in a year. With nothing other than eliminating the carbs and sugar. They're addictive, and your brain creates cravings and pangs just like it does for any other addictive substance.

I have a thread here about my journey.

This is all it is.

I was brought up in a culture where fat people were considered healthy compared to thin people. When I say fat, I don't mean too much obese. In our culture offering food is the best way to show love and respect, therefore, overeating is considered normal. Because of this I suffered weight issues since my college days

I was brought up in a culture where fat people were considered healthy compared to thin people. When I say fat, I don't mean too much obese. In our culture offering food is the best way to show love and respect, therefore, overeating is considered normal. Because of this I suffered weight issues since my college days
Yeah I understand, my parents where big so we ate big and had big portions of food and cakes and sweets so I gained weight pretty quick by my teenage years. Since lockdown I’ve gained even more as all I did was close the door and stay in bed

Serving size is something that the American culture has forgotten about. I try not to eat out too often because I know the serving size is twice or three times what is normal and we've grown so accustomed to it, and are taught to clean our plates that it's ridiculous. If we go out to eat, I try to immediately cut the food in half and bring it home with me.

1,300 calories a day is good for dieting if you're getting the appropriate nutrients from those calories. You want to feed your body so that it gets what it needs to survive and that means focusing on vitamins, minerals, etc...

Have you talked with a dietitian or looked on one of their pages for some good info? They've got it all worked out with plans and suggestions that could help.

Yeah I understand, my parents where big so we ate big and had big portions of food and cakes and sweets so I gained weight pretty quick by my teenage years. Since lockdown I’ve gained even more as all I did was close the door and stay in bed
Yes, during lockdown a lot of people gained weight. People were not only overeating but also did not have any active life. By the way, do you realize eating is lso a pleasure tiggering factor?