• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Eating Under Stress

I have this experience of eating either junk food or the sweet food during the stress. Like eating ice cream or even eating pizza and burger. I don't know if that's good or bad but so far it has shown the bad signs. I think it's reasonable to avoid it but in stress I just can't think of anything good so far. So that has affected me a lot overall as well.

What's your experience? Have you been eating under the stress?

I am exactly the same, when I am under a lot of stress or even feeling down and depressed I turn to junk food such as crisps (potato chips) burgers, kebabs, Chinese food anything that is really not good for me. I can usually tell when it happens and I often say to people "I am stress eating again" and they know exactly what I am talking about. I try to keep foods in that are like eating junk food but are better for me than say something from a takeaway or a packet of crisps. Things like nuts or even small chocolates that I can take a few of I have found help me in some cases when I feel stressed.

Do you think that this was a learned behavior? For me, I think it was because food was sometimes a reward when we got over major humps at home.

I have real problems with food and body image.

I definitely notice when I am anxious or depressed that I eat more shit.

I just love food - I do have a reasonably healthy diet, but I could do better and keep off the biscuits more. I've given up crisps, tend to go for the less sugar options in my biscuits when available. I love my 90% cocoa chocolate in moderation as it is good for you. Tend to stay away from too much fried food, love my salads so roll on warmer weather as it's too cold for salads too often. I tend to oven cook most of my food and microwave my vegetables; I use those individual steam fresh bags. I also make sure that I get fresh fruit every day. Wholemeal or Granary bread, in moderation and low-fat olive oil spread. If I use oil I try to get rice bran oil as it's healthier, though it's getting harder source.

I have real problems with food and body image.

I definitely notice when I am anxious or depressed that I eat more shit.
I do this, it's my biggest issue right now because when the depression hits I switch off and just grab whatever and eat. I've been banging on the weight lately and I hate it.

• Hug
Reactions: Lee
I just love food - I do have a reasonably healthy diet, but I could do better and keep off the biscuits more. I've given up crisps, tend to go for the less sugar options in my biscuits when available. I love my 90% cocoa chocolate in moderation as it is good for you. Tend to stay away from too much fried food, love my salads so roll on warmer weather as it's too cold for salads too often. I tend to oven cook most of my food and microwave my vegetables; I use those individual steam fresh bags. I also make sure that I get fresh fruit every day. Wholemeal or Granary bread, in moderation and low-fat olive oil spread. If I use oil I try to get rice bran oil as it's healthier, though it's getting harder source.
Your diet is 100% better than mine. I know I could improve things, but at the moment I am working 12hrs a day and then running around after children. This is not constructive to a healthy body / healthy mind.

I should change my diet before it is too late.