• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Junk food

What if people with issues are too fond of junk foods ? How will you help them leave that habit ? Is it always going to be hard to get the person into a regular or controlled diet ? Something that is helpful than making things worse.

It's extremely hard to get people to abandon junk foods, because it's a source of comfort in hard times, so a lot of people turn to them Takes a lot of will power.

Junk food, like many things in life is fine in moderation, the problems arise when eating too much becomes normality. Even eating too much of what may be considered healthy food will eventually cause significant weight gain and the health problems associated with that.

I allow myself to eat unhealthy foods two days a week, the rest of the week I strive to eat and snack health. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week as a little bit of indulgence from time to time is beneficia.

because it's a source of comfort in hard times, s

I agree 100%

There is a taste associated with each of them when work on people will cause some sort of addition or affection. Both are dangerous to our own logic. There are ready to cook and ready to eat noodles packs. Ready to cook is somewhat decent when it comes to the demands.

But ready to eat is too much advanced. All you have to do is open the lid, pour a glass of hot and boiling water - or close to it. Stir it for 5 minutes and eat it. Fun, right ?

It's a long and difficult process to kick a junk food habit. I feel like the food itself isn't what makes people eat, it's the comfort of eating, the actual act of eating food that I think brings that much needed release in times of stress.

I don't mind eating junk food too much myself, as I know how to interpret my body's signals when I had enough. Though I do know it can be difficult for some people. I know that some family members have had to resort to being controlling with what is bought, in order to help get someone to stop eating junk all the time. While I don't agree with that method of helping someone out, it does seem to help with some people for a time, after they figured out that they can eat something else that tastes just as good, but is healthier for them.

The main issue I see with that approach though, is if it turned into a mental issue, where no matter how healthy the person ends up getting, they might fall back into the trap of eating the same foods, once the controlling of what is bought has ended.

I've heard from people who quit cold turkey concerning junk foods and even though it took months, they weren't as addicted to them. I'm not sure I believe them. I do know that there are times I get on a carbs kick and can't fight it. Once I force myself to get away from most carbs (not all), I find that it's easier to not grab that can of pop or a cookie.

I've heard from people who quit cold turkey concerning junk foods and even though it took months, they weren't as addicted to them. I'm not sure I believe them. I do know that there are times I get on a carbs kick and can't fight it. Once I force myself to get away from most carbs (not all), I find that it's easier to not grab that can of pop or a cookie.
I'm inclined to agree, it's near impossible to quit cold turkey like that. Everyone needs that little something now and then. What's important to learn is impulse control and healthier alternatives. Since my depression started kicking in full force again recently I've been really struggling to stay away from the junk foods, even gaining weight I don't want to gain, so I'm trying to re-learn impulse control and to stay away from things, or if I'm going to eat something unhealthy, to portion those things out so they're not as damaging for me.

I'm inclined to agree, it's near impossible to quit cold turkey like that. Everyone needs that little something now and then. What's important to learn is impulse control and healthier alternatives. Since my depression started kicking in full force again recently I've been really struggling to stay away from the junk foods, even gaining weight I don't want to gain, so I'm trying to re-learn impulse control and to stay away from things, or if I'm going to eat something unhealthy, to portion those things out so they're not as damaging for me.

Have you been doing the redirecting method? It doesn't always work for me because if I get a strong craving, I'll eat everything else until I eventually give into that craving. But if I just give into the craving then I don't eat everything else too LOL

The redirecting method is where say you go through your kitchen on the way to another room...maybe take a different route if possible? My daughter was taught that so she wouldn't binge eat and we had a bathroom pass through she could get to her bedroom instead of walking through the kitchen. It helped to curb some temptations.

Have you been doing the redirecting method? It doesn't always work for me because if I get a strong craving, I'll eat everything else until I eventually give into that craving. But if I just give into the craving then I don't eat everything else too LOL

The redirecting method is where say you go through your kitchen on the way to another room...maybe take a different route if possible? My daughter was taught that so she wouldn't binge eat and we had a bathroom pass through she could get to her bedroom instead of walking through the kitchen. It helped to curb some temptations.
I have actually tried the redirect method, and I do attempt to stay away from the kitchen as much as possible, unfortunately when I hit the really low points my brain sort of throws that all away and I grab whatever I can that's comfort eating level foods and just snack until I either realize what I'm doing or the pain stops. As you know, I've had something pretty big on my mind of late, and the closer to reality that came, the more it would trigger bouts of depression, so it's gotten progressively worse as time has has moved on. My therapist and I are working on ways to fix it, but so far it just seems that whenever the lowest points hit, I either have a breakdown and go near-catatonic, or I reach for the bad stuff. Hopefully in time I can find something to stop me doing that!

I have actually tried the redirect method, and I do attempt to stay away from the kitchen as much as possible, unfortunately when I hit the really low points my brain sort of throws that all away and I grab whatever I can that's comfort eating level foods and just snack until I either realize what I'm doing or the pain stops. As you know, I've had something pretty big on my mind of late, and the closer to reality that came, the more it would trigger bouts of depression, so it's gotten progressively worse as time has has moved on. My therapist and I are working on ways to fix it, but so far it just seems that whenever the lowest points hit, I either have a breakdown and go near-catatonic, or I reach for the bad stuff. Hopefully in time I can find something to stop me doing that!

I've got to get you into crafting :D You know how I love to do crafts! It really helps get the mind into a better place and when you listen to music at the same time it's even more heavenly. At least for me. My husband can't get into any of that and it would probably make him more highstrung than he is.

I've got to get you into crafting :D You know how I love to do crafts! It really helps get the mind into a better place and when you listen to music at the same time it's even more heavenly. At least for me. My husband can't get into any of that and it would probably make him more highstrung than he is.
Crafting is something I have actually considered getting into, and something I've considered trying to get my mother into, as well. Having dementia it's hard for her to understand even simple tasks, but I feel like there's a chance for crafting to help put her at ease. It could be a good distraction, you're right!

Moderation with the junk foods, I have 24/7 now in retirement, have done plenty of hobbies in my life and know if I don't bring them in the house, I can't eat them. What fits me a lot NOW is making a pot of popcorn, put some stevia and sea salt in the oil and then the corn and pop away....a kettle corn and no junk in that. I maybe pop some once a week. No micro stuff. Don't own a micro.

Moderation with the junk foods, I have 24/7 now in retirement, have done plenty of hobbies in my life and know if I don't bring them in the house, I can't eat them. What fits me a lot NOW is making a pot of popcorn, put some stevia and sea salt in the oil and then the corn and pop away....a kettle corn and no junk in that. I maybe pop some once a week. No micro stuff. Don't own a micro.
This sounds absolutely wonderful! I need to try this one day, and you're right not to trust the micro stuff, that's horrible stuff, kettle corn all the way!

I know junk foods aren't something our system needs to feel very much comfortable. Our system simply needs something rich in vitamins, that nourishes the body well and not something causing cholesterol, increasing blood pressure and blood sugar level.