• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

cop fear

i admit i do have a fear of the cops coming here just to hurt my girlies (my real life location i mean) :(

Tigger likes introducing herself to everyone "hi its lovely to meet you, my name is Tigger, whats your name" i fear them killing her for that after throwing her into pet jail :(

I also fear what would happen to Willow, she just finds something to hide under and decides "if i cannot see you, you cannot see me", they might decide thats aggression as well and throw her in pet jail for that then kill her for it :(

i know they are safer in the UK its if USA cops decide to come to the UK to get my girlies that i am more afraid of cause the USA cops have a bad reputation for killing pets :(

I have an irrational fear of cops. You are not alone.

Whenever they pass I try to act 'innocent' for some reason, even though I've literally done nothing wrong.

My mother was a police officer in her younger days (in Edinburgh City Police, WPC 7, A Division), she absolutely loved it because it was a bout walking the beat, getting to know everyone and making sure everyone was safe. She'd get offered free drinks at the pubs (she never did while on duty), the chance to attend the nightly singalongs at the local pubs, became friendly with the local shop owners and if she ever had trouble that needed sorting, the worst she ever had to deal with was putting a few people that had gone a few too many into their drinking session in the back of the squad car and driving them home or, if they were a bit too far gone, to the station to sleep it off and then send them on their way. I know it's changed a lot since those days, and police are a bit more impersonal, but I've always grown up with a sense of understanding with regards to police and respected their job as a result.

It was a bit different moving to the US and seeing every officer carrying a gun and how closed off they seemed. It took me years to figure out it's for their own safety, because in the US they don't know what call is going to be their last, which traffic stop is going to be the wrong person on the wrong day. Their job is full of stress, and while there are absolutely some bad apples, as there are in any job, most of them are good people doing their best to protect their communities. I understand the apprehension about police, I really do, but you and your little girls will be absolutely safe around them :)

I will never forget how the police made me feel some years ago, I was driving and the cops pulled me over , these two large men , they said my break light was out and made me get in the back of their police car while they took my details, me a small defenceless woman with these two big men, they were thoroughly unpleasant and made me feel like a criminal , that and the fact they seem to do f**k all about local crime such as shed break ins etc leaves me thinking they need to buck their ideas up!

My mother was a police officer in her younger days (in Edinburgh City Police, WPC 7, A Division), she absolutely loved it because it was a bout walking the beat, getting to know everyone and making sure everyone was safe. She'd get offered free drinks at the pubs (she never did while on duty), the chance to attend the nightly singalongs at the local pubs, became friendly with the local shop owners and if she ever had trouble that needed sorting, the worst she ever had to deal with was putting a few people that had gone a few too many into their drinking session in the back of the squad car and driving them home or, if they were a bit too far gone, to the station to sleep it off and then send them on their way. I know it's changed a lot since those days, and police are a bit more impersonal, but I've always grown up with a sense of understanding with regards to police and respected their job as a result.

It was a bit different moving to the US and seeing every officer carrying a gun and how closed off they seemed. It took me years to figure out it's for their own safety, because in the US they don't know what call is going to be their last, which traffic stop is going to be the wrong person on the wrong day. Their job is full of stress, and while there are absolutely some bad apples, as there are in any job, most of them are good people doing their best to protect their communities. I understand the apprehension about police, I really do, but you and your little girls will be absolutely safe around them :)
maybe if they made it illegal to carry guns in the US the police wouldn't have to , of course that will never happen. No one forces them to do the job though...

Some cops are powertrippers

i remember they came for someone in my family and i asked them not to corner my girlie Ebony cause she was timid and poorly, one of them then literally cornered her and stared at her in a threatening manner and that set her into a scared girlie reaction and her fear was so great she had one of her more serious asthma attacks requiring her medication and a trip to the vet :(

she never fully recovered psychologically (spelling) from that day :(

I will never forget how the police made me feel some years ago, I was driving and the cops pulled me over , these two large men , they said my break light was out and made me get in the back of their police car while they took my details, me a small defenceless woman with these two big men, they were thoroughly unpleasant and made me feel like a criminal , that and the fact they seem to do f**k all about local crime such as shed break ins etc leaves me thinking they need to buck their ideas up!
all they needed to do there was "your break light is out, please get it fixed, on your way now Gibby" *goes back to cop car and goes away*

Some cops are powertrippers

i remember they came for someone in my family and i asked them not to corner my girlie Ebony cause she was timid and poorly, one of them then literally cornered her and stared at her in a threatening manner and that set her into a scared girlie reaction and her fear was so great she had one of her more serious asthma attacks requiring her medication and a trip to the vet :(

she never fully recovered psychologically (spelling) from that day :(

I'm so sorry these things happened to both of you, I truly am. I hate when cops intimidate like that, particularly large male cops intimidating women, it's so unnecessary. They're there for community protection, not to threaten people. Those are bad eggs, and you both deserved to be treated so much better.

maybe if they made it illegal to carry guns in the US the police wouldn't have to , of course that will never happen. No one forces them to do the job though...

Agreed, the US really needs to do something about their gun problems, but it's so ingrained in the culture that it's nearly impossible to have a rational debate with people about it, let alone find a workable solution. It just goes in extremes. They'll never take my guns away, etc...

all they needed to do there was "your break light is out, please get it fixed, on your way now Gibby" *goes back to cop car and goes away*

Agreed, a simple acknowledgement of the light being out, a request that it be fixed and off you pop. That should've been it, I don't understand why it would have gone further than that, that screams of bad policing to me.

@PGen98 how would USA cops react in the situation when Ebony was around? Family member didnt cause any problems when they came for him, they (UK) wanted to search the house which we let them do, i said the situation with Ebony, Tigger's reaction was "your standing by the food cupboard, feeeeeeed meeeeeeeeeee" after being all "hi I'm Tigger, who are you?" *sniffs, cuddles round a leg then realising one is by the food cupboard and runs over and tells them she thinks they are going to give her a second breakfast and fusses round the one stood by the food cupboard*

(he tried convincing her he didnt have any food but she didnt believe him ........ she only settled down after he moved away from the food cupboard)

@PGen98 how would USA cops react in the situation when Ebony was around? Family member didnt cause any problems when they came for him, they (UK) wanted to search the house which we let them do, i said the situation with Ebony, Tigger's reaction was "your standing by the food cupboard, feeeeeeed meeeeeeeeeee" after being all "hi I'm Tigger, who are you?" *sniffs, cuddles round a leg then realising one is by the food cupboard and runs over and tells them she thinks they are going to give her a second breakfast and fusses round the one stood by the food cupboard*

(he tried convincing her he didnt have any food but she didnt believe him ........ she only settled down after he moved away from the food cupboard)
I think the one who intimidated Ebony was a one-off, an idiot on a power trip that doesn't represent the real members of the police service. Having said that, I think the US police would have been very similar in how they searched the house, though it would be a case-by-case basis as to whether one of them was an idiot towards Ebony or not. Most people, if told not to corner a cat, would not corner the cat. So I would assume the US cops would be much the same and not corner her unless they were an idiot as the one you encountered was.