• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Afraid Of Spiders

It is 3:30 am here in the UK and I had to just wake my husband up because there was a big spider in my lounge.
I have an awful phobia against them. I actually just had a panic attack :(

stluee post_id=1962 time=1597113281 user_id=55 said:
Was it a brown recluse? or a wolf spider? We start getting those in the fall though in the u.s>

I don't know what it was. It was huge, It could run I tell ya :lol

I'm terrified of spiders too. I'm afraid I do kill the big ones or I get my husband to kill them. I can't go to bed if there's a spider in my bedroom. Unfortunately I live in an old cottage with lots of gaps in floorboards and doors so the house is always full of creepy crawlies.

I'm terrified or spikers. I spotted a massive.one on my stairs last week. Seriously nearly as round as my palm with its legs spread out. I just freeze and then shout the missus, she puts them in glasses and throws them in the garden.

So no doubt they get back in ?

If I see them and she's not around, I'm afraid it's goodnight to the spider, I have to kill it, I go all tingly inside.

boro_boy post_id=2405 time=1597228501 user_id=48 said:
I'm terrified or spikers. I spotted a massive.one on my stairs last week. Seriously nearly as round as my palm with its legs spread out. I just freeze and then shout the missus, she puts them in glasses and throws them in the garden.

So no doubt they get back in ?

If I see them and she's not around, I'm afraid it's goodnight to the spider, I have to kill it, I go all tingly inside.

You sound like my son, He does exactly the same. :lol

I'm not really afraid of them but I do have a respect for creatures. I get a cup & take them outside as well. What helped my fears is to think thru things. Spiders ARE good for the environment. They are beneficial. Majority of the time they are more afraid of you than you are of them (even tho it doesn't seem like that lol)

A black widow spider is one you don't want to mess with. My grandmother was bit by one and she had to go to the hospital. Even after that her leg was swollen and painful.

Violette post_id=2794 time=1597350482 user_id=66 said:
A black widow spider is one you don't want to mess with. My grandmother was bit by one and she had to go to the hospital. Even after that her leg was swollen and painful.

We don't get those here thankfully. It is when they run fast that scares me.

ZandraJoi post_id=2668 time=1597329689 user_id=53 said:
I'm not really afraid of them but I do have a respect for creatures. I get a cup & take them outside as well. What helped my fears is to think thru things. Spiders ARE good for the environment. They are beneficial. Majority of the time they are more afraid of you than you are of them (even tho it doesn't seem like that lol)

You're probably right they are more scared of us but I still don't like them. Lol

I've learned to live with tiny harmless spiders as long as they stay out of my way and earn their keep. However, I don't like when they head for me on their freaky little zip lines, that crosses the line for and it's rolled up magazine time. I have never had a large gnarly and/or venomous one in my home - I don't think they're indigenous to my area thank God. If I did see such a hairy monster I'd have no choice but to touch my house!

Catsmother post_id=3532 time=1597508776 user_id=2 said:
Caught my cat in the early hours of this morning playing with one, Not sure if he killed it as I went back to bed.

That was very brave of you. :sleep

I hate the big ones. I was putting on my make up about two weeks ago and there was this huge one between the crevice where the sink meets the wall. My fiance and I tried to kill it but it went back down into the crevice. I thought it was all over until I went back in the bathroom two minutes later and it was there on the bathroom floor. Thankfully my fiance smashed it with a shoe. Ugh. I don't mind the small ones but why do they have to get so big? It's terrifying.

Nilla post_id=3876 time=1597549194 user_id=50 said:
I hate the big ones. I was putting on my make up about two weeks ago and there was this huge one between the crevice where the sink meets the wall. My fiance and I tried to kill it but it went back down into the crevice. I thought it was all over until I went back in the bathroom two minutes later and it was there on the bathroom floor. Thankfully my fiance smashed it with a shoe. Ugh. I don't mind the small ones but why do they have to get so big? It's terrifying.

Yeah I am the same, I can cope with tiny ones, big ones are a big No no Lol.