• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Added stress

I'm on the verge of losing the plot. I'm coping with my own urges to end my life and now, a friend of mine is putting up lots of posts about suicide. She's done it before and had many people very worried. The thing is, she considers me to be her best friend and relies heavily on me for support but I am not feeling well enough to cope with her right now. I'm barely holding on as it is. I've sent her a message via messenger but she hasn't even looked at it. What am I supposed to do? I'm way up in Scotland and she lives at the other end of Britain so there's not much else I can do. I wish she would stop doing this. I'm so worried about her.

Hi @Eagleheart

Sorry but this is just selfish on her part, Can you tell her gently that you find her triggering and that you're not doing well yourself? also what I tend to do with FB if I find someone triggering is to un-follow the person so that way you can't see what she is posting.

Thank you so much for your help @Catsmother . I'll try to message her again but I think she purposely ignores my messages to keep me worried. It's a good idea to unfollow her though. I think I'll have to do that for my own mental health.

Thank you so much for your help @Catsmother . I'll try to message her again but I think she purposely ignores my messages to keep me worried. It's a good idea to unfollow her though. I think I'll have to do that for my own mental health.
I think she purposely ignores you too. I really would unfollow her it is the only way to put a stop to it.

I agree with Catsmother. There is only so much you can do for her if you are trying to shoulder your own weight. Has she ever considered getting help? I hope I don't sound mean when I say this, because that is not what I am intending. But I have noticed that when people post about killing themselves on social media it's either:

1. A cry for help.
2. Attention seeking.

The majority of people who are depressed wouldn't care what other people say. They don't believe anything will get better again nor do they think anyone cares about them, so they make attempts on their lives in private. Not a lot of people come out and say they are depressed. Some do, though. I am only basing this post off of what you have told us. I am in no way trying to tell you or your friend what to do. But perhaps it is something you can consider. Facebook has a pretty good eye when people post about suicide- they notify the friends of that person if the have commented, (I think or maybe it pops up somewhere else) that if you think they are in danger of hurting themselves or others, you should call the crisis line. You could also call the police to have a wellness check on her. It may seem extreme, but if she really means it it could end up saving her life.

Anyway, it is up to you to decide what to do. You're facing your own battles right now and I can only imagine how hard that must be. I do hope things get better for you.

I agree with Catsmother. There is only so much you can do for her if you are trying to shoulder your own weight. Has she ever considered getting help? I hope I don't sound mean when I say this, because that is not what I am intending. But I have noticed that when people post about killing themselves on social media it's either:

1. A cry for help.
2. Attention seeking.

I totally agree, Most people do it for attention, I am not saying everyone does but from a personal point of view I wouldn't be posting it all over Facebook.

How are you doing? Try to just focus on your own self at this time. Also a note, people who want to kill themselves more times than not don't tell people they are going to. If they do mention it, it's for attention only & that they themselves want somebody to help them with the thoughts & urges.