• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Where Are You From?

How come you moved? Is it USA you live now?
Yep, Phoenix, Arizona in the US just now. I'm a sort of accidental nomad, as I hate moving and yet I've never lived in one place for more than 5 years at any point in my life. The earlier moves were precipitated by my parents, and I was too young to really object, so that's what brought us to the US, my dad's job.

Let's see...

I was born in Bolton (Farnworth, specifically), moved to Bradley Stoke down in Gloucestershire, moved to Downend, Bristol also in Gloucestershire, spent time in Pontypridd in Wales, spent time in Edinburgh, Scotland (my mother spent most of her life in Edinburgh), moved to Helsinki, Finland for a brief while, then back to Bristol...and then we made the move to the US, starting in California, then off to Arkansas (beautiful state), then to Texas (Plano in the Dallas-Forth Worth "Metroplex"), and now I've been bouncing around Arizona for a fair few years now. I'd love to get back to the UK at some point, I'd also really like to spend time in Canada, as it's supposed to be quite a lovely place that's sort of a UK/US hybrid. I like the US, it's got some beautiful places to explore, but I wish they'd fix their healthcare system! It's preposterously expensive to get sick in the US even with proper insurance! I'm a Type 1 diabetic, I've got several other ailments as I've alluded to in the past, so I need doctors' visits, medication and medical supplies frequently. It costs an arm and a leg on normal insurance, but I'm fortunate enough to not make enough money that I qualify for state-run medicaid, which is basically similar(ish) to the NHS, but it's almost taboo to be on that here because it's tax-payer funded, so people feel like they're paying for your medical needs. I don't understand the lack of proper universal healthcare here, but as I'm not an American I can't really tell them "this is wrong, you should fix it," it's their system. Beyond that, there are a lot of good things in the US to do and to explore, but I do miss the UK and would love to go back at some point.

Yep, Phoenix, Arizona in the US just now. I'm a sort of accidental nomad, as I hate moving and yet I've never lived in one place for more than 5 years at any point in my life. The earlier moves were precipitated by my parents, and I was too young to really object, so that's what brought us to the US, my dad's job.

Let's see...

I was born in Bolton (Farnworth, specifically), moved to Bradley Stoke down in Gloucestershire, moved to Downend, Bristol also in Gloucestershire, spent time in Pontypridd in Wales, spent time in Edinburgh, Scotland (my mother spent most of her life in Edinburgh), moved to Helsinki, Finland for a brief while, then back to Bristol...and then we made the move to the US, starting in California, then off to Arkansas (beautiful state), then to Texas (Plano in the Dallas-Forth Worth "Metroplex"), and now I've been bouncing around Arizona for a fair few years now. I'd love to get back to the UK at some point, I'd also really like to spend time in Canada, as it's supposed to be quite a lovely place that's sort of a UK/US hybrid. I like the US, it's got some beautiful places to explore, but I wish they'd fix their healthcare system! It's preposterously expensive to get sick in the US even with proper insurance! I'm a Type 1 diabetic, I've got several other ailments as I've alluded to in the past, so I need doctors' visits, medication and medical supplies frequently. It costs an arm and a leg on normal insurance, but I'm fortunate enough to not make enough money that I qualify for state-run medicaid, which is basically similar(ish) to the NHS, but it's almost taboo to be on that here because it's tax-payer funded, so people feel like they're paying for your medical needs. I don't understand the lack of proper universal healthcare here, but as I'm not an American I can't really tell them "this is wrong, you should fix it," it's their system. Beyond that, there are a lot of good things in the US to do and to explore, but I do miss the UK and would love to go back at some point.
That is some story.

Agreed about medical care in the USA, we're lucky to have our fantastic NHS here.

That is some story.

Agreed about medical care in the USA, we're lucky to have our fantastic NHS here.
Yep, as much as some complain about the NHS in the UK, without it things would be far worse for the average person!

Little Rock , Arkansas
Beautiful place, I lived in Fayetteville for a time and traveled to Little Rock and Hot Springs, quite the sights along the way!

Somewhere in England.

sips tea GIF