• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

What You Need to Know About Histrionic Personality Disorder

Our behavioral pattern is controlled by our brain. In a situation where a person has a psychological disorder, he/she interprets circumstances and relationships differently. A person with HPD (Histrionic personality disorder) tends to thrive by attracting the attention and approval of others. In order to achieve this, they become who or what they feel you would appreciate.

Some of The Signs
  • People with HPD are shallow emotionally.
  • Most women with HPD tend to be flirtatious
  • Majority of HPD patients (especially women) wear cloths and make-up that would make them the center of attention.
  • HPD involves dramatic and overly emotional behavior.
  • Patients tend to blame others for their mistakes.
  • Most people with HPD have active social lives.
  • People with HPD are usually self-centered
  • HPD patients attach more value to a relationship than is necessary.

However, this does not mean you should diagnose individuals with the following characteristics with HPD because there is a lot more to Histrionic Personality disorder than what is written in this article (come to think of it, apart from antisocial individuals, who doesn't like being the center of attention?).

Are They to Blame?
Hell no! It's just like blaming me for being able to carry a baby in my womb (well I'm sorry; a womb is part of the womanly package). Research has not being able to point out a definite cause for HPD. However, it is believed that an individual's upbringing might contribute to an extent. So, rather than take chances, it is expedient that we try as much as we can to provide our kids with a friendly living environment (and this has a lot more to do with the atmosphere than the money available).

Most people with HPD do not even know there is something wrong with them because most times when your mind is messed up, you do not see anything wrong in your actions. So, it's usually you against the world and the world is this awful place where nobody really understands or cares about you. People with HPD try as much as possible to ensure that the world does not just notice them but also loves them. And when things do not work out as planned they become frustrated, throw tantrums and might even relapse into an emotional breakdown.

What Can be Done?
  • A healthy living environment is important as well as being surrounded by people who do not just understand but are also willing to help you get better.
  • Therapy is very important. A professional's view can make a big difference.
  • Take your meds religiously (but some drugs might turn you into a semi-zombie so I advice you report the situation to your shrink or maybe get help somewhere else).
  • Learn more about HPD. Seriously, the internet has got loads of information that might be helpful. And let's face it; nobody wants to be alone with a particular ailment. You might feel better after reading other peoples stories or even sharing yours.
  • It sounds cliché but it's true. YOU MUST BE WILLING TO GET BETTER. Nobody can help you get better if you don't want to.

If you know someone with HPD, try to be a little more understanding because regardless of their excesses, tantrums and selfishness, you just have to put in mind that it's not their fault and that there is very little they can do to get better if they don't face it squarely. And who is in a better position to convince them than YOU?

Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Osoka_Chidinma/2496496

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9853012

I am not sure if I had heard the term Histrionic or Histrionic personality disorder. Now that I know what exactly this personality disorder is, I think I have seen a lot of people who have this kind of personality disorder. Nort just Histrionic personality disorder, I think a lot of mental diseases are an outcome of certain upbringing.

Its my first time thou, hearing and learning about histrionic personality disorder (HPD). With what I've learned so far, it shows that, people with it are mostly presumptuous, always on the centre of attraction, showing off themselves to the public.