Living with DID and learning to cope with stress

Welcome to TalkMH

TalkMH is a safe, supportive community where you can be heard, be yourself, and find the support you need.

Safe & Inclusive Everyone is welcome
Private & Confidential Your privacy matters
Judgement Free Be yourself, always
Supportive Community We're in this together
A few years ago, I was diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID), which was caused by childhood trauma. The first couple of years after my diagnosis were pretty challenging, both for me and my partner. The constant nightmares I was having at the time certainly didn't help the situation either. Being regularly woken up by nightmares and then having to deal with everything else going on made it much harder to manage stress and emotions.

During the early part of our same-sex relationship, I could switch quite dramatically depending on how overwhelmed or stressed I became. At times I could become extremely angry and behave in ways that were completely out of character for me, while at other times I could regress to behaving much more like a five-year-old. It was difficult to understand what was happening at the time, and I know it was difficult for my partner to deal with as well.

Things became serious enough that we had visits from a family police officer and an LGBT liaison officer for a period of time. Looking back, it was a pretty intense period of our lives.

Over the years, I've slowly learned better ways of dealing with stress and recognising when I'm becoming overwhelmed. Thankfully, I haven't experienced a switch like that for at least five years now, which is something I'm really proud of.

Oddly enough, there is a small part of me that sometimes misses switching. When it happened, I didn't have to consciously deal with whatever stress was going on because I wasn't really experiencing things in the same way. At the same time, I know that being in that state made everyday life incredibly difficult, and I certainly wouldn't have been sitting around happily posting on forums like I do now!

I also had some frustrating experiences trying to get help. There were several occasions when I went to hospital for a mental health assessment, only to be told to go home and get some sleep. At the time, that was incredibly frustrating because I was looking for someone to actually help me understand what was happening.

My experiences have definitely left me with mixed feelings about the mental health system in New Zealand. I know there are good people working within it, but there also seem to be significant gaps, particularly when people are struggling and need support before things reach crisis point.

I'm in a much more stable place now, but I still think about those experiences quite a bit. It's strange looking back at how much things have changed and realising that something which once controlled so much of my life is now something I have learned to manage.

Has anyone else experienced a major change in how they manage their mental health over the years? Or found that something that was once a major part of their life eventually became much easier to manage?
 
Oddly enough, there is a small part of me that sometimes misses switching. When it happened, I didn't have to consciously deal with whatever stress was going on because I wasn't really experiencing things in the same way. At the same time, I know that being in that state made everyday life incredibly difficult, and I certainly wouldn't have been sitting around happily posting on forums like I do now!
I absolutely understand this perspective, the ability to, essentially, "disappear" for a while and take the stress away...it's a tempting prospect! But you're right, slipping back into it wouldn't solve those stresses, and it would make life incredibly difficult for you and for those you care about. The fact you've managed to come full circle and manage something that used to manage you speaks volumes about how strong you truly are. You can do anything you set yourself to, no matter the task. You and your partner have been through a lot, but you're still going strong! Another testament to how far things have come, even through the dark times.

I hear you on the frustrations with the mental health system, there are similar shortfalls here, and it's incredibly irritating to try to deal with. You go in asking for help and leave with far more questions than you came with. It's a flawed system that needs work!

I'm glad you've come so far, because the person I know, the friend I care about, is a good person who deserves to be in control of their life. In every respect.
 
I absolutely understand this perspective, the ability to, essentially, "disappear" for a while and take the stress away...it's a tempting prospect! But you're right, slipping back into it wouldn't solve those stresses, and it would make life incredibly difficult for you and for those you care about. The fact you've managed to come full circle and manage something that used to manage you speaks volumes about how strong you truly are. You can do anything you set yourself to, no matter the task. You and your partner have been through a lot, but you're still going strong! Another testament to how far things have come, even through the dark times.

I hear you on the frustrations with the mental health system, there are similar shortfalls here, and it's incredibly irritating to try to deal with. You go in asking for help and leave with far more questions than you came with. It's a flawed system that needs work!

I'm glad you've come so far, because the person I know, the friend I care about, is a good person who deserves to be in control of their life. In every respect.
Best Friends Cat GIF
 
Need urgent support?
If you are in crisis or need immediate help, please reach out.
Crisis Support

Latest posts

Trending content

Members online

Back
Top