• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Let's Get To Know the Members

Thought it would be good to have a thread so will can tell members about ourselves :)

I shall go first...

I am married with 4 grown up children (3 girls and 1 boy) no grandchildren yet. My kids are all close in age there is just 7 years between them all.

I have always struggled with my mental health and I had always swept it under the carpet. I self harmed in secret and always had constant bad thoughts since as far as I remember. In 2008 I took the plunge and went to see my GP she referred me to the mental health team and I was later diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder. I had never heard of it so I Googled it and that is how I discovered forums. I was a Moderator on a forum for several years and that is what inspired me to make my own forum. I had been to therapy and my therapist was very good, Made me look at life differently. I still have bad moments but not as bad as I was 10 years ago.

I am also partially deaf and wear hearing aids, I have Cerebellar Ataxia which affects my balance and speech.

My life at the moment is good, I have bad days too but more good. :)

Feel free to ask me any questions and of course share a bit about yourselves too :)

I'm in my 30's have 3 children single parent currently trying to work things out with my ex always suffered with anxiety but it impacted on my life when I lost my sister's to an accidental over dose at just 24 I live for my children and just do my best regarding this but feel unable to trust people due to life events that's happened I'm currently studying at the moment to give me and my children the best life I can

I'm also married, but not to @Catsmother ...

I have three daughters, 7, 4 and 2.

I suffer from depression, intrusive thoughts, healthy anxiety, general anxiety, social anxiety and panic attacks. Now you would think this would make me a jumpy person like a deer in headlights, but actually I have learned to cover it up super well and I very rarely show it.

I also have physical health problems and haven't had a day without pain for well over 2 years now.

More positively, I am a big football fan and follow Middlesbrough FC.

I'm also married, but not to @Catsmother ...

I have three daughters, 7, 4 and 2.

I suffer from depression, intrusive thoughts, healthy anxiety, general anxiety, social anxiety and panic attacks. Now you would think this would make me a jumpy person like a deer in headlights, but actually I have learned to cover it up super well and I very rarely show it.

I also have physical health problems and haven't had a day without pain for well over 2 years now.

More positively, I am a big football fan and follow Middlesbrough FC.
I forgot to mention football.

I am a massive Liverpool supporter.

I'm 33, desperately single, haven't even had a relationship in over 5 years at this point because of tending to my mothers' needs (and yes, it plagues many of my thoughts and impacts my mental health, that lack of physical and emotional companionship, but I try to muddle on), and as will come as a surprise to no one, have no children to speak of. Fur babies, though, 2 cats and a dog! I like to avoid specific labels, but I have issues with self worth, depression (despair), anxiety and several physical ailments that cause me daily pain.

I spend my time tinkering with websites (been doing so since 1996, had a love affair with forums since 2000 or so, was even the community administrator for one of the largest gaming websites of its' time), reading (my current project is collecting Tolkien's works, as many as I can get my hands on! His tragedies in particular are some of the best books I've ever read, he understands despair like few do), playing or collecting video games (I'm a collector, been collecting since I was just a youngster) and I love watching football and ice hockey. I'm a lifelong Bolton Wanderers fan (through the ups, the downs and downs...), and since moving to the US I've become a very big Dallas Stars ice hockey fan. I'm also a casual fan of T20 cricket, Aussie rules, and Rugby Union. That's about all there is to know about me, not particularly interesting, sadly.

I forgot to mention football.

I am a massive Liverpool supporter.
Ah, well you've been enjoying things these past few years, I take it ;)

Hi everyone, I am 41 and from the Netherlands. All my life I have struggled with feelings of inadaqaties. Having been bullied all my Child hood with so many things.
It was only after a lot of years I found out not everyone thought like me. No I had mental health issues.
Bpd, avoindant personality disorder, persistent depressive disorder, SH and an eating disorder. So far I am on 2 kind of meds.
So this all caused me to not do what I wanted in school. Or work. And most important for me. Relationships. I wanted to marry and have children.
But not many relationships so far.
I have many passion but seem to be all over the place with them. I used to be good in sports. But now like to do calligraphy and play games. But would love to spend my days with an amazing woman.

Hi everyone, I am 41 and from the Netherlands. All my life I have struggled with feelings of inadaqaties. Having been bullied all my Child hood with so many things.
It was only after a lot of years I found out not everyone thought like me. No I had mental health issues.
Bpd, avoindant personality disorder, persistent depressive disorder, SH and an eating disorder. So far I am on 2 kind of meds.
So this all caused me to not do what I wanted in school. Or work. And most important for me. Relationships. I wanted to marry and have children.
But not many relationships so far.
I have many passion but seem to be all over the place with them. I used to be good in sports. But now like to do calligraphy and play games. But would love to spend my days with an amazing woman.
Calligraphy's a great hobby, I don't have steady enough hands for it, but those who can do it are just incredible!

Don't worry about the relationship side, you'll find the one you're meant to be with, we both will, just takes time an patience! :)

I'm in my 60's and thinking about retiring. I have worked for five elected officials in New York City government for the past 40 years. I'm not in the best health physically which has slowed me down quite a bit.

I have never been married and am currently in a long distance relationship for the past 13 years. I met my sweetie in a chat room. Neither of us were looking to make that kind of connection but it was just meant to be as our friendship blossomed. Turns out we are so much alike. He has ADHD and through him I learned I do too, although I have outgrown the hyperactivity component thankfully.

Growing up I always knew I was "different" and kept my struggles and insecurities about them secret from others, but I had no idea of what my problem was. When I met my boyfriend he had me read up on ADHD so I would understand him better as he could never keep a girlfriend for very long due to his 'quirks.' Going down the list of ADHD symptoms I was shocked to find I had almost every single one my entire life. I was relieved somewhat to learn I was not alone nor was I at fault. There was no understanding or even a term for ADHD children when I was a child. It made for a difficult childhood as I was an enigma to teachers and family. Always considered bright but not living up to my full potential, able to lose all track of time delving deep into some creative project (hyperfocusing) and yet at times completely fidgety and seemingly unwilling to focus on a task or school subject.

I have a lifelong history of projects I never finished and I am a terrible procrastinator. Most of my closest friends are high achievers making 6 figure salaries. I have a considerably responsible position careerwise, but no one gets why I have not moved up over the years. ADD can be very debilitating and often leaves you feeling somewhat inferior and defeated. Nevertheless, I made it this far and will retire, possibly this year if I can make it work financially between pension and social security. NYC property taxes are very high and I am ready to move on, but emptying out a house to put it on the market is a huge undertaking. I shudder at the thought of what lies before me. It's enough to make me retreat into my shell and not want to come out! 🐢

So there's my life in a nutshell. Its not all uphill. I am blessed with lifelong besties who are like sisters, a boyfriend who totally "gets me" and vice versa and a relationship with my God who has blessed me and lifted me through the hardships and losses I've had to face throughout the years.

Last edited:
I'm in my 60's and thinking about retiring. I have worked for five elected officials in New York City government for the past 40 years. I'm not in the best health physically which has slowed me down quite a bit.

I have never been married and am currently in a long distance relationship for the past 13 years. I met my sweetie in a chat room. Neither of us were looking to make that kind of connection but it was just meant to be as our friendship blossomed. Turns out we are so much alike. He has ADHD and through him I learned I do too, although I have outgrown the hyperactivity component thankfully.

Growing up I always knew I was "different" and kept my struggles and insecurities about them secret from others, but I had no idea of what my problem was. When I met my boyfriend he had me read up on ADHD so I would understand him better as he could never keep a girlfriend for very long due to his 'quirks.' Going down the list of ADHD symptoms I was shocked to find I had almost every single one my entire life. I was relieved somewhat to learn I was not alone nor was I at fault. There was no understanding or even a term for ADHD children when I was a child. It made for a difficult childhood as I was an enigma to teachers and family. Always considered bright but not living up to my full potential, able to lose all track of time delving deep into some creative project (hyperfocusing) and yet at times completely fidgety and seemingly unwilling to focus on a task or school subject.

I have a lifelong history of projects I never finished and I am a terrible procrastinator. Most of my closest friends are high achievers making 6 figure salaries. I have a considerably responsible position careerwise, but no one gets why I have not moved up over the years. ADD can be very debilitating and often leaves you feeling somewhat inferior and defeated. Nevertheless, I made it this far and will retire, possibly this year if I can make it work financially between pension and social security. NYC property taxes are very high and I am ready to move on, but emptying out a house to put it on the market is a huge undertaking. I shudder at the thought of what lies before me. It's enough to make me retreat into my shell and not want to come out! 🐢

So there's my life in a nutshell. Its not all uphill. I am blessed with lifelong besties who are like sisters, a boyfriend who totally "gets me" and vice versa and a relationship with my God who has blessed me and lifted me through the hardships and losses I've had to face throughout the years.
You story is remarkable, Foxy, and I applaud you for working your way to where you are now! You're a very inspirational person, as I know very well how debilitating ADHD can be on someone, having spent a number of years with a good friend who also has ADHD and seeing how he suffers when it takes a hold of him. I'm glad you managed to find the answer with the help from your boyfriend, I'm sure it's a massive relief to have that!