• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Information On Bipolar 2

Bipolar II disorder involves periods of depression and periods of elevated mood, called hypomania. This is like mania but less extreme.
All forms of bipolar disorder involve shifts in mood and levels of energy and activity.

Bipolar II causes hypomania, a period in which mood and behavior are elevated beyond what most people experience. In a state of hypomania, a person may feel elated, energized, or even irritable.

Bipolar I causes mania, a more severely elevated mood than hypomania.

Experts introduced the term “bipolar II disorder” in 1994 to help doctors describe and treat the condition more effectively.

However, as scientists discover more about the condition, some have called for an end to the distinction between types I and II. They argue that it is more realistic to see bipolar disorder as a spectrum with a range of symptoms, patterns, and severities.

Bipolar II vs. bipolar I

The main difference between bipolar I and II relates to the intensity of manic periods. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, according to researchers.

Below are diagnostic criteria for both types of the disorder:

Bipolar I: A person will have at least one manic episode, with or without an episode of depression. A manic episode may involve psychosis, which can include hallucinations or delusions. During mania, a person may need hospital care.

Bipolar II: A person will have at least one depressive episode and at least one episode of hypomania, which does not involve psychosis. Depression is often the dominant mood.

According to some researchers, people with bipolar II are likely to have depression more than 50% of the time, while for those with bipolar I, depression is present for around 30% of the time.

Symptoms

Bipolar II is characterized by periods of hypomania followed by depressive episodes. However, the duration and severity of these episodes and the range of other symptoms can vary widely from person to person.

Hypomania usually lasts a few days and can involve the following symptoms:

• having more energy and self-confidence
  • feeling more creative
  • being more sociable, flirtatious, or sexually active
  • having faster thoughts and quicker actions
  • getting distracted more easily
  • irritability
  • talking faster and more than usual
  • engaging in risky behavior, such as spending or getting into arguments
  • drinking more coffee or alcohol
  • smoking more or taking more drugs
A person with hypomania may feel good and function well, but others may notice that their behavior is unusual. After feeling good, there is a risk that a depressive episode will follow.

Symptoms of a depressive episode can include:

• feeling sad, empty, or hopeless
  • having low motivation
  • losing interest in activities
  • sleeping too much or too little
  • having low energy levels
  • having feelings of worthlessness and guilt
  • having trouble focusing
  • gaining or losing weight without trying
  • having suicidal thoughts or tendencies
The symptoms tend to appear in early adulthood, but the disorder can develop in children and, more often, teens.

Causes and risk factors

Doctors do not know exactly what causes bipolar disorder, but the following may play a role:
  • a variety of genetic factors
  • environmental factors
  • structural features in the brain
Bipolar disorder is more likely to develop in a person with a close relative who has it.
Also, stress and traumatic events can contribute to triggering the condition in a person with a genetic predisposition.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms may appear for the first time during pregnancy or after childbirth.

Diagnosis

For a diagnosis of bipolar II, a person will need to have had at least one episode of depression and at least one hypomanic episode.
People often feel good during hypomania and seek medical help when they experience depression. For this reason, doctors often misdiagnose bipolar II as depression.
When making a diagnosis, a doctor will:
  • ask about symptoms
  • ask about family history
  • perform a physical exam
  • order tests, such as blood tests, to rule out other possible causes
Then, they use criteria from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders to make a diagnosis.
The doctor may also use a checklist to identify hypomania.

MEDICAL NEWS TODAY NEWSLETTER
Stay in the know. Get our free daily newsletter
Expect in-depth, science-backed toplines of our best stories every day. Tap in and keep your curiosity satisfied.
Enter your email
Your privacy is important to us. Any information you provide to us via this website may be placed by us on servers located in countries outside of the EU. If you do not agree to such placement, do not provide the information.

Treatment

Treatment for bipolar II disorder usually involves a combination of medication and psychotherapy.

It is usually long term and continuous. If a person stops treatment, even when they feel well, symptoms can return.
Medication
These may include:
  • mood stabilizers
  • antipsychotics
  • antidepressants
  • medications to help improve sleep quality
It can take time to find the best combination and dosage. A person may need to work with their doctor for some time before they arrive at a suitable solution.
Report any side effects to the doctor, to help them make the right adjustments. Trusted loved ones may also be able to offer helpful insight.
Psychotherapy and counseling
Talking through emotions and challenges associated with bipolar disorder can help.
The purpose of psychotherapy or counseling may be to:
  • develop coping strategies for symptoms
  • identify effective ways to manage stress
  • identify triggers and ways of avoiding them
  • educate the person about bipolar disorder
Some people have accompanying health problems, such as alcohol or drug use disorders. Treatment can help with these, too.
Lifestyle changes
Various strategies can help a person achieve more stable moods and a deeper sense of well-being, including:
  • Exercise: A doctor can help develop an exercise plan to support stress management and overall health.
  • Diet: A healthful, varied diet provides essential nutrients and boosts overall well-being.
  • Sleep: Getting enough quality sleep regularly can help, and a consistent routine is important.
  • Keep a log: Noting down mood changes and life events can help identify patterns and triggers.
While there is evidence that some supplements may help with mild to moderate symptoms, it is essential for people with severe symptoms to seek professional help. People may find that supplements help manage symptoms and prevent recurrences when they use them alongside conventional treatment.
Also, it is essential to speak with a doctor first, as some supplements may interact with medications.

Outlook

Symptoms of bipolar II disorder often appear in early adulthood.

The condition is lifelong, but a range of treatments can help manage it. It is essential to follow the doctor’s instructions — a person should not discontinue medication before discussing it with a healthcare provider.

Bipolar disorder is a complex condition that can affect many aspects of a person’s life. Finding a trustworthy doctor and staying in regular contact with them can help.

This is all me to a tee, i have had it for 10 yrs, but i have a huge support group, I take Lithium which is a very heavy drug and needs a mood stabilizer to level it out

This is all me to a tee, i have had it for 10 yrs, but i have a huge support group, I take Lithium which is a very heavy drug and needs a mood stabilizer to level it out
Glad you are able to deal with it @diane15 I am sure it's not easy. Keep up the good work!!! :)

I know about bipolar disorder, but I was not aware that bipolar disorder is categorized into two groups as bipolar I and bipolar II. Based on what I have read here I think I have a relative with this condition. She has been battling with this order for 25 years and she is under medication fr 25 years. By the way is this disorder genetic?

Back