• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How do you 'reboot' yourself?

I'm sure we all have those moments where we just need to take a step back from everyday life and give our brain a little reset. I'm also sure that we all have our separate routines and go-to's in those moments to help us take that relaxing period away from everyday stresses. So, how do you 'reboot' yourself? For me, I like to just sit myself in a dark room, in my comfy clothes and hunker down in bed. It helps me to feel safe in a manner of speaking, it's comfy and just allows me to block out most things - even if it's just for 15-20 minutes. For larger scale issues, I've always been a fan of just booking a cheap flight (pre-COVID) and visiting somewhere away from where my stresses are occurring - some of my most relaxing moments have stemmed from such trips.

So, how do you take that time to reboot? What's your method?

I'm in a similar position -- I like to be alone by myself in a safe room. I like to not exactly meditate, but contemplate things, try and get outside of my head if I can, and let the thoughts disappear. If that doesn't work, then crawling into bed and just spending time there can do it. Reading a book, listening to music, watching a film, any of these things can serve as a good distraction, as well.

How do you people meditate for a long ? I have tried. All those stupid ideas come to mind exactly when we close our eyes. We suddenly remember all the things we need to, at the very moment.

I have had luck too. Early morning, just after we wake. The mind seems much more relaxed and can afford some silent moment.

How do you people meditate for a long ? I have tried. All those stupid ideas come to mind exactly when we close our eyes. We suddenly remember all the things we need to, at the very moment.

I have had luck too. Early morning, just after we wake. The mind seems much more relaxed and can afford some silent moment.
It's not easy to clear the mind, that's for sure. That's why other distractions are equally important.

That's why other distractions are equally important.

What else ? Almost every doctor is particular about meditating. And they will ask you to try again and again even if you fail. They will also want subjects not to sleep during the daytime. But they ask this after feeding a lot of mild sedatives. So people find it really hard to not take some help from their cosy bed.

What else ? Almost every doctor is particular about meditating. And they will ask you to try again and again even if you fail. They will also want subjects not to sleep during the daytime. But they ask this after feeding a lot of mild sedatives. So people find it really hard to not take some help from their cosy bed.
Music helps, books are fantastic. Anything that can occupy your mind and put you in a different mindset. If you've ever heard of Jon Henrik Fjallgren, he signs Joiks and they're so soothing, so calming...he helps to get you into a different mindspace when struggling, and that can help a great deal!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Honestly I cannot just sit down and meditate - I've tried it so many times and each time I just can't sit still and I cannot clear my head. That's fine of course, it's not for everyone - I've got my little routine and I know that works for me so that's what I personally stick to and I find that sort of clears my mind a little (or at least, my head allows it to be cleared!). I know what you mean about stupid ideas though, when I do tend to try I instead seem to find my mind filling up with the most random of stuff!

Sleep is the best way for me to unwind and reset my mental state, although I struggle to sleep as it is so it's a tough process. I've found that'd best for me though.

I play games and go into a fantasy world to escape reality. I know it's not the best, but it's good enough for me. I also used to play basketball, which was great but I am a bit overweight now and I have knee problems so I kinda toned it down a notch.

I have multiple ways to do that for myself. I think music and the social connections help. Having people around definitely helps. Music can be like therapy in our life. Some of the time such type of the approach helps a lot. I know many who make use of music to help their own health.

I unplug often throughout the day. We live rural, on acreage so I only have to go outside our door to breathe fresh air, see the flora & fauna that's around. Just sitting with my furbabies helps me unwind as well. You rethink what your priorities are in life when you can just stop & smell the literal roses. I also enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles & Variety Puzzle books. Anything to get my mind focused on something else.

I boot myself in three ways, I do yoga, I meditate, or I go for a walk. Sometimes when I am not in a mood to do any of these, I choose feel good movies and start watching movies.

Physical fitness through series of exercise helps me to reboot myself when ever I am feeling fatigued or dizzy. Apart from that, the most important way for me to reboot myself is through proper sleep.