• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How common is social anxiety?

Social anxiety disorder is one of the most common types of psychological problems. About 15 million American adults have a social anxiety disorder. Approximately 36% of people with social anxiety disorder report symptoms for ten or more years before seeking help, many just don't know they even have a disorder.

Do you have any symptoms or know someone that does?
How did you address the issue of becoming open about it?

I have a social anxiety disorder but not to the point that I need medication. I believe social anxiety disorder is a very common psychological disorder. I know a lot of people who are perfectly fine in a private circle but once they are among a group of people less familiar to them or in a group of strangers, they begin to cringe.

I think kids, mid aged and old aged people who are alone for a long time. They tend to have faced the social anxiety. And they tend to go through this every now and then. So it is pretty common. Unless you make things easier for people to be social, it creates awkwardness and life gets more complicated.

I have suffered from SAD for years now. I used to be even worse than I am now, when I got my first job it helped me break out of my shell a little bit. During school growing up I never talked to anyone. It's odd though, since if I went to hang out with some friends from school outside of school I would be able to carry conversations. I absolutely hate calling people on the phone, I definitely prefer to text. I get super anxious any time I have to schedule doctors appointments.

I can relate to you in many ways. When I was in school, I excelled in written tests, but when it came to ora tests, I always performed poorly. I always tried to avoid group discussion, I did not even participate in any competitions.