• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

First TV

When did you buy your first TV ? What is the favourite show that it served for you ? I don't think people use TV anymore. Not unless they are meant for Netflix and other streaming services. Do you still watch those channels and move across them. Wait for the ads and continue your show ?

A big panel is what we call a TV these days. I will argue that they built the whole CPU in a board and placed it behind the panel.

A big panel is what we call a TV these days. I will argue that they built the whole CPU in a board and placed it behind the panel.
I can put your mind at ease on this one. Today's television sets are basically just big laptops. Power supply, Solid state hard drive, motherboard, tuner, and drivers for the display are all laid out quite similar to a PC. Everything designed to be slim and compact. I repair them.

I remember it being one of those very large, very bulky old TV's (like the image below but bigger) but back then as a kid - it was like a magic machine had come into my life. Nowadays, they're just another addition to the household that I don't actually watch TV on but use my Firestick to use Netflix/Disney+ etc. I also use catch-up services for actual TV shows as I can generally bypass the ads that way, pause at my leisure and so on.

file.jpg

1980 and it was a Zenith black & white with a 12 inch screen!

Dallas Cowboys Footballl.
I can never imagine watching something on a 12 inch TV haha. Even my phone nowadays is half that size (I'd expect that from a phone!) but a TV that size? Ooft. My main TV is 55" and my PC monitor is a 43" widescreen and I couldn't live without something that size to enjoy my content on. I use my phone for work and easy notifications rather than consuming media too much so I'll let that get a pass!

How did you get into repairing TV's though @Pig Hip? What's it like?

How did you get into repairing TV's though @Pig Hip? What's it like?
In 1975 after months of dropping hints and even outright mentions that I wanted a portable TV for Christmas, one showed up for me under the tree. A 6 inch b/w Heathkit TV. The kind you have to build and assemble. Took me 2 years to make it work.

Had been in electronics since age 8 via Radio Shack electronics project kits. I do electronics work as a hobby. I'm just natural to it.

In 1975 after months of dropping hints and even outright mentions that I wanted a portable TV for Christmas, one showed up for me under the tree. A 6 inch b/w Heathkit TV. The kind you have to build and assemble. Took me 2 years to make it work.

Had been in electronics since age 8 via Radio Shack electronics project kits. I do electronics work as a hobby. I'm just natural to it.

Sounds brilliant - I do miss that about things nowadays. It just seems like we're in some kind of easy, lazy consumerist stage where everything has to be done for us. I know that even now, if you gave me something like that kit you'd got, I'd get a lot more out of it and enjoy it a lot more than I would other things.

It's brilliant that you've always had that natural affinity though - I wish I had found that special skill for me!

I repair them.
I have great fan-like admiration for people who can repair electronics. I am quite fond of it myself. My electronics repair skills are limited to computer hardware. Even that I am not a big player, but I think I know the basics. I have helped a lot of people with those skills.

Do you know I watched a lot of good movies on a small screen TV ? But when I had a chance, I got a good panel TV, I watched some of them again.

The very first television that I purchased for myself was $699 a 47" LG LED TV which featured dual play capability (allows two people to use special glasses to play a supported game on the same screen and not be required to do split screen). I thought it was a steal at the time, and I think it really way. I couldn't tell you when I bought it maybe 10 years ago? I still have the TV in my guest room.