• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Feeling hopeless and depressed

Yes, I do have mental illness. There are three main classes of antidepressants and they all gave me pretty serious side effects when I tried them. So I’m on a mood stabilizer instead because it’s better than nothing.
Does it mean that you incurred the issue as a result of skipping a good sleeping time? It's a pity though, you should take some rest to relax your mood.

I have this phase every now and then. I have been getting over it by vlogging, blogging and also doing the youtube videos. The moment you start expecting things happen to you or should hapeen in your way you get into depression. I stopped expecting and started creating. This is one of my way to get over this feeling. Doesn't work all the time but it keeps you away from that feeling most of the time.

I don't know your history but I know mine. I have not had depression issues, until right after Menopause, and that was about at 57 and tjhat is when "clinical" depression hit me. I went 10 yrs from doctor to doctor for depression issues and also thyroid and all gave me the same ole mantra, Your Labs Are Good, it's not thyroid and here are some new A/D drugs. It was a nightmare for 10 yrs.

Finally I talked to my D.O. who had cared for my back for many years, they are doctors of medicine, and he seemed ti know right away, got me on a desiccated med, Armour in 2002, and in 4 days 10 yrs of depression lifted. He did no labs, and the ole time docs went by symptoms, long before the lab world.

Anyway, sluggish low thyroid can cause so many issues and a big one is Depresssion. That was in 2002, and then in 2006 a lowness was hitting me again and my sister led me to Vit D world and getting tested etc I was so LOW, so I worked for months to get to a good point for me.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you and I presume you are female, but we never know for sure.

DHEA is another hormone that we decline in starting at 20 yrs or so...A doctor found how low my DHEA was when I was 60 and I worked to turn that around. I'm 83 and all is good. Now that I'm taking good thyroid support and DHEA and Vit D.

Have your considered Integrative Medicine doctors and or Naturopathis? Allopathic MD's leave me cold.

I know it's hard, but you have to try and figure it out. What would make you instantly happy even if it's a lot of effort, do it. I am now walking every day even if it hurts me, going out with my friends even if it drained me. It was though but little by little I started to feel better :D you try it too.

Sorry everyone for the late replies.

@jaminhealth I am diagnosed with hypothyroidism actually and am being treated for it. Yes, I am female. The biggest problem for me with seeing an Integrative Medicine Doctor or Naturopathis is I don't have a ton of money and really rely on Medicaid to pay for my medical expenses and I tend to think they only cover conventional medicine. Thank you for the suggestion though. And you're right, there indeed is no instant happiness.
@Sincerem Thank you!
@Shole Yes, I really do need to figure something out. Thank you for giving me that to think about.

Funds to get the quality health support is the BIG issue... Are you at least taking the Levo/Synthroid thyroid med that Medicaid would support.? And the D3, you could be deficient...it's pretty affordable for all.

Funds to get the quality health support is the BIG issue... Are you at least taking the Levo/Synthroid thyroid med that Medicaid would support.? And the D3, you could be deficient...it's pretty affordable for all.
Yes, I’m taking Synthroid. I do take a vitamin D supplement as well since I was deficient at one point.

Could be synthroid is not good for your body, or not taking enough, Syn contains ONLY T4 and you could need T3 added which is a Cytomel, I tried Syn years ago and either way I didn't work for me. Many are suffering with Synthroid treatment....

Could be synthroid is not good for your body, or not taking enough, Syn contains ONLY T4 and you could need T3 added which is a Cytomel, I tried Syn years ago and either way I didn't work for me. Many are suffering with Synthroid treatment....
Yeah, I guess it’s possible I need more. I find it weird it only has T4.

I research this thyroid stuff for years and big pharma only put T4 in Synthroid. I don't trust pharma -- money is their game.

When a doc tried me on T4 only he had to add Cytomel which is T3 to my stuff and it still didn't help me.

The desiccated products contain T4, T3, T2, T1 and Calcinitonin....patients just don't know and trust pharma.....

I research this thyroid stuff for years and big pharma only put T4 in Synthroid. I don't trust pharma -- money is their game.

When a doc tried me on T4 only he had to add Cytomel which is T3 to my stuff and it still didn't help me.

The desiccated products contain T4, T3, T2, T1 and Calcinitonin....patients just don't know and trust pharma.....
I do think pharma is too into money. I mean it's just ridiculous how much some medications cost and how much they are making off them. I hope you found a thyroid treatment that worked for you and hopefully I will too.

Oh I did as I mentioned in my notes to you, and HOPE you can get help. I'm not on top of the world but I'm older and live in a lot of body damage from surgery of hip and it's not always golden getting old.

Oh I did as I mentioned in my notes to you, and HOPE you can get help. I'm not on top of the world but I'm older and live in a lot of body damage from surgery of hip and it's not always golden getting old.
Thank you! I meant to say earlier I am seeing a new therapist next week so hopefully that will be helpful.

Have you tried alternative medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, for example? I have seen a lot of people benefiting from acupressure and acupuncture, even cupping massage.

Have you tried alternative medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, for example? I have seen a lot of people benefiting from acupressure and acupuncture, even cupping massage.
No, I have not. I don’t really know much about alternative medicine but will try to learn more.

I don't know if you have heard of singing bowl therapy. Do some research on the singing bowl and see if anyone offers this service in your area. This is one of the best alternative therapy for depression, anxiety, and stress.