• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Can police really confine you to a hospital for mental health treatment?

I saw someone said this in a youtube video

if you suffer from mental health problems and tell a cop that you suffer from any of the mental health problems, they (the cops) use it to get that person locked up in a hospital?

he is anti-cop so i dont know if he's just saying it or if genuinely they do lock people up in a hospital for any mental health problems

Above all LE officers try to handle MH cases with utmost compassion, not as some excuse to arrest someone.

Above all LE officers try to handle MH cases with utmost compassion, not as some excuse to arrest someone.
so if someone in the house they visit picks the friendly cat up to make sure she (cat) doesnt trip the cops up, they won't use that as a reason to send someone to hospital jails?

so if someone in the house they visit picks the friendly cat up to make sure she (cat) doesnt trip the cops up, they won't use that as a reason to send someone to hospital jails?
I sure wouldn't think so. Not in my state at least. In fact in my state, they can't do that.

could they do anything to the person?

i wasnt who the local cops was after, family member last year

i would be afraid of the american cops cause of the guns :(
I can't intelligently address a situation I wasn't present for. I can only tell you that picking up a kittycat isn't any threat to police.

I can't intelligently address a situation I wasn't present for. I can only tell you that picking up a kittycat isn't any threat to police.
i remember last time when Ebony was still here cause i wasnt sure if making movements without clearing it with the cops was okay to do i checked they was happy me giving my girl Ebony her asthma medication cause her asthma was starting up cause she was getting stressed and panicky at there being cops around (she didnt know them and she would get stressed at the uniforms)

one of them had made her worse by deliberately cornering her :(

It depends on circumstances and the country, however I do know that in the UK, the police can only detain you and take you to a hospital if they're concerned for your mental health and you're in a public place.

So if you're at home, they can't do anything to detain you under mental health reasons unless you do something to put someone else at risk or whatever. It's a tricky system to navigate.

could they do anything to the person?

i wasnt who the local cops was after, family member last year

i would be afraid of the american cops cause of the guns :(
They didn't do anything to you at the time.

You didn't do anything wrong at the time.

That time is over and nothing happened to you.

It's time to let go of that worry I think.

I live in America and here it depends on many different things. I'm an older white woman living in a small suburb and we have great cops.

In lour county, you cannot be sentenced to a jail term if you have severe kinds of mental diseases, you will be sent to mental care instructions instead. By the way, mental care institutions are also like jails as the patients cannot get out without being discharged

Yes of course, that's one of their duties, simply to save life. If they don't care about life, they wouldn't stand to protect lives. So, it is their right also to take a victim to hospital when he or she is helpless.