• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Can I self diagnose ADHD?

I feel that when I read it up a bit, that I have some form of adult ADHD.
I can't sit in one place for long without twitching or moving, I often have mood changes, I am also sometimes emotionless. I get really easily distracted and start a million things without finishing most of them.
So my question is, is there a way to self-diagnose?

Had you thought about speaking to your doctor about it?

I think you generally need to get a diagnosis from a psychologist after they have done certain tests.

Had you thought about speaking to your doctor about it?

I think you generally need to get a diagnosis from a psychologist after they have done certain tests.
Big problem is there are not many doctors in my area specified in mental health as it is not conisdered important in my country yet. But if I move to China I will try to get one from Hong Kong or something to help me out and figure myself out :D

I struggled with ADHD all my life, but being a child of the mid 20th Century, there was no understanding of ADHD and no help. I always had a sense of being a bit "different" than other kids but because I was bright and a people pleaser I hid my struggles well.

It wasn't until I met a man with diagnosed ADHD later in life that I discovered that that was my lifelong problem. He suggested I read a book called Driven to Distraction so I would understand him better. He had lost girlfriends throughout his life because none of them understood him or were willing to cope with the unique quirks people with it bring to a relationship. I found myself on every page of the book, it was a real eye opener for me. I have textbook symptoms tracing all the way back to childhood. The only thing that has changed for me over the years is the hyperactivity component. As a child I was bouncing off the walls at times, as an adult I am far more sedentary (although physical problems contribute to that somewhat.)

I highly recommend this book for anyone who suspects they might have ADHD or who love someone with it. I'll tell you one thing, it's a challenge when one partner in a relationship has it, but when both have it, things can get real "interesting."

Here is an interview with one of the authors, Dr. Hallowell who, incidentally, also has ADHD...

I struggled with ADHD all my life, but being a child of the mid 20th Century, there was no understanding of ADHD and no help. I always had a sense of being a bit "different" than other kids but because I was bright and a people pleaser I hid my struggles well.

It wasn't until I met a man with diagnosed ADHD later in life that I discovered that that was my lifelong problem. He suggested I read a book called Driven to Distraction so I would understand him better. He had lost girlfriends throughout his life because none of them understood him or were willing to cope with the unique quirks people with it bring to a relationship. I found myself on every page of the book, it was a real eye opener for me. I have textbook symptoms tracing all the way back to childhood. The only thing that has changed for me over the years is the hyperactivity component. As a child I was bouncing off the walls at times, as an adult I am far more sedentary (although physical problems contribute to that somewhat.)

I highly recommend this book for anyone who suspects they might have ADHD or who love someone with it. I'll tell you one thing, it's a challenge when one partner in a relationship has it, but when both have it, things can get real "interesting."

Here is an interview with one of the authors, Dr. Hallowell who, incidentally, also has ADHD...

Oh am reading that and watching this whole video as soon as I am done with work today :D Thank you very much. I lost countless people in my life due to me being that kind of quirky and going from interested to silent, being bouncy and now just stale....

Personally I wouldn't self diagnose your self that why they have professionals

if you ever in doubt talk to a professional they will be able to help you

Personally I wouldn't self diagnose your self that why they have professionals

if you ever in doubt talk to a professional they will be able to help you
I know but the thing is there are none around me, I don't have a car and it's so difficult when you low on money and low on possibilities to travel :(

I have always felt that I have ADHD, but I have never formally been diagnosed with it. I have trouble paying attention to things for long periods of time, and I often "zone out" in conversations.

I have always felt that I have ADHD, but I have never formally been diagnosed with it. I have trouble paying attention to things for long periods of time, and I often "zone out" in conversations.
I have traits of it too. For me its more the hyperactivity side and struggling with sleep as my mind races at times. I do get off task at times too.

I myself have the same issue with my eldest son, he is 19 years old now and I firmly believe that he has ADHD, he can not sit still for long periods of time, he struggles to stay focused on something for long periods, he is easily distracted and his mood can change suddenly as well. He also seems to eat a lot which is not normal and he struggled a lot in school as well.

Unfortunately, you do need to speak to a doctor to be referred regarding ADHD for you to be able to be diagnosed with ADHD, it is not something you can diagnose yourself. We took the doctor route and the place we were referred to tried to say it was mental health, I am 100% sure it isn't and because of that, we are back in contact with the doctors again in hopes to be able to get more help.