• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Bad dreams

Are bad dreams a disease ? I see all kind of stupid twisted dreams, mostly based on things I have seen or involved in real life. I was told to pray before we sleep. To clear our mind before moving to a sound sleep. I want to get rid of bad dreams. It is not very threatening but I would prefer something better. Do you think that reading books help ?

It runs MORE amuck with chemistry! I take a beta blocker and one of the side effects is lurid, realistic intense dreams. It is believed this is because the drug penetrates the blood/brain barrier.

Not having "bad" dreams necessarily, just super realistic intense ones that I am even able to manipulate somewhat. In the dream I realize I am dreaming, it's called "lucid dreaming." Very intense.

For a long time, I used to see dreams related to my childhood. Things that never happened. As if someone wrote a drama, a very pathetic one too. I somehow managed to get rid of it. It was not pleasant to wake from those useless dreams.

Dreams are considered to be a construction of the sub-conscious mind, relaying and processing how your day went. It could also be your worries that you weren't aware of in your conscious state of mind, that are then pushed foward into dreams.

When you look into it, dreams and the creation of dreams are very clever.

When you look into it, dreams and the creation of dreams are very clever.

I must admit. I have no idea how it works.

relaying and processing how your day went.

Ok. So if we have a pleasant day, will it have an impact on our dream ?

It could also be your worries

Yes, that could be the reason. My worries are normally a logical escalation of my social needs. Buying a house, for example.

I think bad dreams are probably just your mind trying to make sense of your feelings, perhaps? I'm not sure, but I think I had a 'bad dream' whenever I'm feeling down. They tend to mimic my mood.

I get bad dreams when I am dealing with something traumatic or stressful in life, it probably is your subconscious trying to make sense of it all. Praying may help you if it actually relaxes you and clears your mind?

I rarely get bad dreams but when I do it's because my mind is focused on something bad happening currently OR because my thyroid meds aren't in the place they're supposed to be in.