• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Zoloft side effects

I've been taking Zoloft (generic sertraline) (for anxiety) for over a dozen years with no issues at all, but I stayed at a low dose. Sixteen months ago I had kidney failure from a new med for migraines, better now, but it really disrupted my system. Zoloft began causing daily diarrhea, more explosive by the day. Doctor said "Nope, it's not the Zoloft so I took it for another month. But it was only getting worse. Sorting my meds one day I realized I had 3 months worth of Cymbalta left from before the kidney failure, so I didn't get a refill of Zoloft and began taking the Cymbalta. Day by day the diarrhea disappeared. Diarrhea is a common side effect with Zoloft. How the H*** do we get doctors to listen to us and look up medication side effects instead of dismissing them/us???

How the H*** do we get doctors to listen to us and look up medication side effects instead of dismissing them/us???
I have the exact same question. My cardiologist won't listen even when I am quoting clinical studies from well known and highly respected sources that have been peer-reviewed.

I think it's a mindset of "Ignore Dr. Google" but there IS valid medical information on the internet and we ARE intelligent enough to separate the bs from the accurate stuff.

Indeed, I have presented certain side effects to my GP and they have stated they have never heard of such a side effect, but a simple google search returns hundreds if not thousands of similar experiences.

Medical profession seems to be quite closed-minded, pretty much just doing everything by rote.

Medical profession seems to be quite closed-minded, pretty much just doing everything by rote.
Yeah, they just listen long enough to go "Yeah, take this med." Then when you report a side effect from that med, they say "Okay, take this med for that symptom." And on and on until you end up taking 14 meds and still suffer from the original issue.

It seems to me with most meds and their side affects, they dismiss any unknown ones if they don’t happen in their test groups.

It seems to me with most meds and their side affects, they dismiss any unknown ones if they don’t happen in their test groups.
Exactly. And you ain't in the test group so therefore you're just mistaken!

But the side effects that listed on the package insert are ones that were known to happen in the test groups. I was having a known side effect and the doctor said "nope, not because of the med." But it's right there on the package insert. Or on www dot drugs dot com. It takes me about 2 minutes to look up side effects on that website but the doctor doesn't want to take the time, or doesn't want to admit they don't know without looking it up, or don't want to figure out whether a different med or a different dose would eliminate that side effect. Arrggghhhh!

Back