• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

What Songs Calm You Down?

PGen98

Administrator
When you're really anxious, stressed or sad, what songs do you listen to in order to get back on track? For me, I love to use music as a way to calm myself, to heal, and to get out my stresses and angers. I listen to a lot of hard and heavy music, whether it's rock, metal, etc., I love hard music. It stops my anger, it calms me down and it brings me back when I get too far gone. Some of these songs are definitely not for everyone, but a couple, in particular these first two, really resonate with me and aren't TOO heavy so others here might like them, as well.

1.) Apocalyptica - Farewell -- An absolutely amazing instrumental, it's eerie, it's sad, but most of all it's beautiful. For a band of cellists who got their break covering metal bands, this screams of quality.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2.) Insomnium - One for Sorrow -- This one is a very mellow song that does have a couple of harder parts. It's about unrequited love, two people in a relationship that don't work together. It's sad, yes, but it's musically beautiful and it works well to de-stress and get my mind away from, among other things, loneliness (doesn't make sense considering it's a song about unrequited love, but it does work). Love this band on the whole, they make great music.

3.) Insomnium - While We Sleep -- [Possible trigger warning, this one is heavy, so skip if heavy music does not appeal to you] Perhaps my all time favourite song, but I'm putting this one third as it's got full blown metal elements in it and won't work for everyone. It is the quintessential melodic metal song. Absolutely beautiful, and the content of the lyrics speaks true (life is about moving forward, as much as it hurts, we cannot go back, so take your time and enjoy those around you), it is just a perfect song if ever there was one.

There are more, a lot more, but I'm going to stop at three and see what songs you all use to calm down or to re-focus when you're not your best self. What music works best for you?

I think all music can calm me down as long as it isn't heavy metal.

Understandable, definitely. I listen to a lot of metal music and it's absolutely not for everyone, but for some reason it resonates with me and takes me from either utter despair or unbridled rage back to a more balanced, normal plane of existence. Other music helps, too, but it's always been the hard and heavy stuff that resonates the most. Absolutely not something that everyone enjoys, though and that's perfectly fine :D

Classical music calms me down personally. I also like upbeat songs from the 1980s as they are just quite uplifting.
There is something particularly unique about songs from the 80s, I have to agree there. The music was fun and free-flowing, the music videos attached to them were either so bad they're hilarious or just outrageously fun, it's hard not to enjoy 80s music.

Classical I do agree with, as well. Give me a good rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons and I'm in my happiest place.

When I was younger I was a real metalhead. Now I listen to everything but for some reason death metal brings me to a calm place. The song I am posting here is not for everyone so if you dont like grunting and high pitched screams dont listen haha.

But this is the kind of music I could hide in when feeling alone in the world.

When I was younger I was a real metalhead. Now I listen to everything but for some reason death metal brings me to a calm place. The song I am posting here is not for everyone so if you dont like grunting and high pitched screams dont listen haha.

But this is the kind of music I could hide in when feeling alone in the world.

I think it's becuase of the vibes heavy rock brings and all like genres, a sense of emotional release?

This one makes me rock out.... I go mental in the kitchen when cooking.