• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Struggling to be away from pets

The ironic thing is I'm "with loved ones" (family and wife), but it hasn't felt like they love me or even appreciate me so... I think that's making me miss them even more.

They're so innocent, pure, and love me... and my relationship with my other "loved ones" is exceedingly complicated. Especially being told a couple days ago I'm going to die alone.

I agree with the others that they went hunting for you, not that they're mad at you. What you might expect when you return to them is have them get back at you for being gone. That shows their love in a vindictive kind of way, but my cat used to do that to us.

The ironic thing is I'm "with loved ones" (family and wife), but it hasn't felt like they love me or even appreciate me so... I think that's making me miss them even more.

They're so innocent, pure, and love me... and my relationship with my other "loved ones" is exceedingly complicated. Especially being told a couple days ago I'm going to die alone.
Family is what we make of it. Sometimes blood does us dirty, as they say, but we make our own family outside of blood and that means far more. That's how it is for me. I have a sister that is there for me, but we aren't exactly close and a sister that tries to be close but is wrapped up in her life and there's a generational gap too. So the people closest to me aren't blood, but they're still family

Family is what we make of it. Sometimes blood does us dirty, as they say, but we make our own family outside of blood and that means far more. That's how it is for me. I have a sister that is there for me, but we aren't exactly close and a sister that tries to be close but is wrapped up in her life and there's a generational gap too. So the people closest to me aren't blood, but they're still family
You're right... but it hurts when the people you thought loved you really only want you around because of certain skills and strengths you have, ultimately to use you. I've had a stark contrast the last few months from my blood family, to my wife's family, and actually to my wife. Only to be told I'm going to die alone and I'm the reason they're unhappy. It's a wake up call...

And depending how everything ultimately plays out long term... my time with my girls may be limited too.

You're right... but it hurts when the people you thought loved you really only want you around because of certain skills and strengths you have, ultimately to use you.
Well you know my position currently, so yes, I completely agree with you.
I've had a stark contrast the last few months from my blood family, to my wife's family, and actually to my wife.
Yep, and that's why it's important not to give them too much control over your life. If you feel at home with your wife's family, awesome! Spend time with them! If you only feel at home with your wife, then that's fine, too! She's your family. Those beyond, as well, can be family ;)
Only to be told I'm going to die alone and I'm the reason they're unhappy. It's a wake up call...
Yep, it sure is. I've been told similar, it's a slap in the face and it shows their character, not yours.
And depending how everything ultimately plays out long term... my time with my girls may be limited too.
Ideally not, they need and love their daddy.

The difference between animals and humans, is that animals love you unconditionally, whereas humans always employ conditions, even if at first they are not apparent. I'm not really a cat person, I don't mind them (have had cats myself) but I'm a dog person. I had dogs for nearly 50 years, but sadly can't have a friend now as I am not able to look after another dog; in fact, I'm the one that needs looking after, lol.

It is hurtful though, where you are parted, even temporarily, from those you rely upon for some emotional comfort and I can empathise with your plight. Hopefully, you will be reunited sooner rather than later and that is something to look forward to for you. (y)

Well you know my position currently, so yes, I completely agree with you.
Yeah it's rapidly becoming my position as well evidently so I'm there with you
Yep, and that's why it's important not to give them too much control over your life. If you feel at home with your wife's family, awesome! Spend time with them! If you only feel at home with your wife, then that's fine, too! She's your family. Those beyond, as well, can be family ;)
...what if it's becoming uh... none of the above? Because that's what I'm currently grappling with now...
Yep, it sure is. I've been told similar, it's a slap in the face and it shows their character, not yours.
I appreciate you saying that.
Ideally not, they need and love their daddy.
Ideally not indeed... the thought that it may get there breaks my heart just thinking of it.
The difference between animals and humans, is that animals love you unconditionally, whereas humans always employ conditions, even if at first they are not apparent.
You're right... and that unconditional love is so satisfying and pure.
It is hurtful though, where you are parted, even temporarily, from those you rely upon for some emotional comfort and I can empathise with your plight. Hopefully, you will be reunited sooner rather than later and that is something to look forward to for you. (y)
I'm coming back home Saturday night, hopefully to stay... so, hopefully reunited then.

🫂
...what if it's becoming uh... none of the above? Because that's what I'm currently grappling with now...
Then you focus on what you can control and what's going to be best for you. You know yourself better than anyone and as much as you do for others, it's important you do for yourself, as well. Whatever shape that takes. I won't pry for details, that's not my place to do so, but you need to ensure that you are in a position that's going to work for you, the rest will sort itself out.
🫂
Ideally not indeed... the thought that it may get there breaks my heart just thinking of it.
Fingers crossed all works out for the best 🤗
Isn't it? No better feeling than being loved by your fur baby. They ask for so little and they give everything, we are so fortunate that they put up with us.
I'm coming back home Saturday night, hopefully to stay... so, hopefully reunited then.
❤️

your fur babies will be delighted to see you again, after giving the "you left us" sulky treatment :hug7