• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Stress at Work?

Whenever I try to work, my anxiety and stress levels go up a notch. I hate being bossed around, being told what to do and etc. I'm the kind of strong and independent woman, who doesn't take orders from anymore. Also with my other mental and physical health issues, it doesn't help me at all personally in a workplace. I'm totally and 100% dysfunctional and depressed and seriously tired after a few hours of work.

Some birds aren't meant to be caged. It's nothing against the bird, he's meant to be free.

Self employment does seem like the thing to do, but try not to set your hopes to high. It can be as stressful as working for someone and even more.

See I would be the other way around. I can see myself getting more stressed by being self-employed than I would by simply being employed. The stress of knowing I had no safety-net and such would push me to my breaking point. I do get your point though @Naiwen, I've recently taken on some additional responsibility at work due to my manager leaving and it's getting stressful. The additional workload, increased meetings and everything else are just over the top. Once I wrap my head around it and figure out a productive way to manage it all, it'll be fine. That initial burst though is tough!

What would like to do if you were to go self-employed Naiwen?

See I would be the other way around. I can see myself getting more stressed by being self-employed than I would by simply being employed. The stress of knowing I had no safety-net and such would push me to my breaking point. I do get your point though @Naiwen, I've recently taken on some additional responsibility at work due to my manager leaving and it's getting stressful. The additional workload, increased meetings and everything else are just over the top. Once I wrap my head around it and figure out a productive way to manage it all, it'll be fine. That initial burst though is tough!

What would like to do if you were to go self-employed Naiwen?
I dunno.

You are in luck /Naiwen

These days, work from home is so common. You need not even need to step out of your door to learn courses, attend exams, interviews or do a job. As for getting uncomfortable while at work, there are many methods to get out of it. The best one finding decent friends online and have a little chat for 5-10 minutes. Even people with a no-difficulty condition gets exhausted. It is simply human.

Take your mind off to anything that you can relax and get back to whatever work you chose to do.

Well it's a hard thing to get over when you are strong and independed, you should try tho. It depends on your goals in life, if you want to make money and are at the start of your job you gotta take some orders, if you have experience open your own company/ business.

I have been a work from home professional for a long time, therefore, I have never experienced stress related to workplace or colleagues. However, I experience work related stress frequently.

I had a lot of deadline related stress in the past. And that happens few times a year. I think it also depends on most of the time how the health conditions have been so far. But overall I think those ups and down happen too. But if you learn to be more assertive that approach definitely helps long term.