• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

I think I have slight PTSD from medical scopes

I had cancer 6 years ago and had frequent scopes where a camera went down my nose to my vocal cords. Sometimes they didn't have any numbing solution and I had to do it without, and it was brutal. I might have to go for a scope in a month or two and I'm absolutely dreading it.

Can anyone relate?

Oh dear, to do them without a numbing agent sounds absolutely horrendous! I've had a couple of medical scopes before, but never without numbing, I can absolutely understand feeling apprehension about them if that were to happen again! I hope it goes well and they DO indeed have the numbing agent. It's still invasive and still not fun at all, but fingers crossed for that small mercy! 🤗

The first time I had a gastroscopy I didn't get knocked out or anything either.

I renember gagging as they shoved it down my throat and the doctor literally just saying "calm down".

I've dreaded them ever since, you're not alone with that thought but they're worth doing.

The first time I had a gastroscopy I didn't get knocked out or anything either.

I renember gagging as they shoved it down my throat and the doctor literally just saying "calm down".

I've dreaded them ever since, you're not alone with that thought but they're worth doing.

YES! The calm down nonsense!! The nurse actually came over and grabbed my hand, because I WAS calm but it hurt and she knew it and kept saying it will be over in a few minutes. That's when I started looking at the other end of things, that's my hope, the other side. If I really start to worry too much about anything, I ponder about when it's over and what I'll do. The focus becomes the other side and I relax more.

It's hard to walk into that doctor's office though and not remember the horror of a camera going down my tiny nose.

I had a biopsy yesterday that was really difficult. I hope that I don't have to have this often because it's definitely an uncomfortable thing to go through and I'll probably have PTSD from that for years to come. I had one 6 years ago and it was okay, but I got dizzy and nauseated after. So this time my husband drove me so I could put an ice pack on it on the way home. Because of my scar tissue from surgery, this biopsy was hard for the doctor and tech.

The doctor asked me if I did yoga since I held so still. I told her I'm naturally relaxed and honestly I just wanted to be as still as possible so it would be easy for her and it would be done quicker.

I had a biopsy yesterday that was really difficult. I hope that I don't have to have this often because it's definitely an uncomfortable thing to go through and I'll probably have PTSD from that for years to come. I had one 6 years ago and it was okay, but I got dizzy and nauseated after. So this time my husband drove me so I could put an ice pack on it on the way home. Because of my scar tissue from surgery, this biopsy was hard for the doctor and tech.

The doctor asked me if I did yoga since I held so still. I told her I'm naturally relaxed and honestly I just wanted to be as still as possible so it would be easy for her and it would be done quicker.
That sounds absolutely horrible, I'm so sorry you had to go through such an arduous procedure!

Any kind of invasive procedure can leave you traumatised. I've learned, over the years (more so in recent years as my health wanes) to ask loads of questions and voice concerns before undergoing any procedure, and sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. It's horrible when it hurts or employs discomfort, so if it's something that has to be repeated and each time is as bad, if not worse, than the last, it's no wonder there is an element of PTSD creeping into your life.

Empathising and feeling for you, and hoping that future days are not so disconcerting for you.

Any kind of invasive procedure can leave you traumatised. I've learned, over the years (more so in recent years as my health wanes) to ask loads of questions and voice concerns before undergoing any procedure, and sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. It's horrible when it hurts or employs discomfort, so if it's something that has to be repeated and each time is as bad, if not worse, than the last, it's no wonder there is an element of PTSD creeping into your life.

Empathising and feeling for you, and hoping that future days are not so disconcerting for you.

I think my body remembers more than my brain and that coincides with what you've written.

The results of the biopsy are indeterminate, so I'm glad they took extra samples to send off to Afirma for gene testing if that's what the doc wants done.

I feel so bad for you because PTSD sucks, I have PTSD when going to the dentist because it always hurts one way or another every time. So now I go only when I am forced to go because I have a problem.