• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Ditching therapist

I want to like my therapist but I really don’t, I’ve never had therapy like this one before, shes makes me do homework and learn coping methods which are totally off the rails in my mind, she says no emotion is bad and instead of trying to distract yourself or take your mind off of how you feel, just sit with it and wallow in it and acknowledge it basically and doing that makes me feel worse, I don’t know what type of person would enjoy feeling depressed, anxious enough to sit with those feelings unnecessarily so that you can say you didn’t escape those feelings.
She says I need to do these Exercises in order to cope with my emotions and that it’s necessary for treatment. I’m thinking of ditch therapy or this therapist for a different one because the sessions leave me feeling worse. I’ve got the report I need out of said therapist she did a good job of my report but she’s like “this is my way” is not willing to listen to my input about how it’s not helping or working for me.

I’m sorry to hear you are having issues with your therapist. My therapist also gives me homework and has me learn coping skills. In my experience homework is a normal part of therapy since the goal is usually to use what you have learned in sessions outside of the therapy room. That stinks that she doesn’t show emotion. That would bother me too. Therapists aren’t supposed to get super attached but they aren’t supposed to be cold either. I don’t like that she is unwilling to listen to your input. To me that is a sign of a bad therapist. In individiaul therapy the sessions should be individualized to the client’s needs. It wouldn’t hurt to try another therapist if you feel this one isn’t a good fit for you.

My father suffered from depression for 10 years, his therapist always told him that he should take medication for life long, we did not like the therapist and asked him to ditch the therapist. Sometimes it is very important to change your therapist for better treatment.

My father suffered from depression for 10 years, his therapist always told him that he should take medication for life long, we did not like the therapist and asked him to ditch the therapist. Sometimes it is very important to change your therapist for better treatment.

I agree. I had a therapist in the past that just liked to listen to me talk and really didn’t much feed back or anything and one day she shared my number and emails with her friends so when I found out she wasn’t my therapist anymore

When my daughter went to see a therapist she was always given homework each week before the next session. I wonder if that's the norm now with all of them? Maybe it's the type of homework that is bothering you and could ask for a different type of homework that makes you feel less anxious?

When my daughter went to see a therapist she was always given homework each week before the next session. I wonder if that's the norm now with all of them? Maybe it's the type of homework that is bothering you and could ask for a different type of homework that makes you feel less anxious?

I think maybe it is the norm which is going to discourage a lot of people because it’s turning therapy in to a chore, I can understand why they do it because they want to make sure people can cope with therapy, however what should be done instead is there should be support in a safe environment after therapy to support someone who’s struggling, not everyone will struggle with therapy, so forcing everyone to go through homework I don’t agree with but that’s just my opinion. I got my medical report now so when I speak to my therapist in the next few days I will see if she sent the report to my doctor as promised and if she does we will be having a conversation about how therapy isn’t working for me and maybe provide feedback to the actual area manager because the management seem to value feedback more than my therapist does.

I think maybe it is the norm which is going to discourage a lot of people because it’s turning therapy in to a chore, I can understand why they do it because they want to make sure people can cope with therapy, however what should be done instead is there should be support in a safe environment after therapy to support someone who’s struggling, not everyone will struggle with therapy, so forcing everyone to go through homework I don’t agree with but that’s just my opinion. I got my medical report now so when I speak to my therapist in the next few days I will see if she sent the report to my doctor as promised and if she does we will be having a conversation about how therapy isn’t working for me and maybe provide feedback to the actual area manager because the management seem to value feedback more than my therapist does.

One good reason my daughter's therapist assigned her homework to do was because it was the next thing she wanted to talk about at the next session. It was actually a preparatory measure so my daughter would expect the topic and not be shocked by it.

Were all the homework assignments unbearable?