• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Why is there such a stigma still about mental health?

I dont understand

Surely it should be given the same compassion as if someone got a cancers or broke leg or heart failure or whatever?

"your wasting our time, get up and walk on your broke leg"

Because it is not well understood and the criteria of it keeps changing. This makes it difficult to get the layman to understand it and/or empathize with it.

Physical injuries and maladies such as cancer or a broken leg, are well understood. Everyone understands a broken leg.

Stigmas get attached to things we don't understand because it is uncomfortable to not understand. It's human nature. It's something we have to learn to overcome.

I see a lot of compassion more than ever. But I also see people making excuses as if their mental health excuses how they treat others. My husband has a relative who went off on me on Facebook a few years ago which she had never done before. She then proceeded to tell me I couldn't ask her why she was treating me that way because she has anxiety as if that was an excuse to call me all sorts of names.

It's okay for people to set boundaries when it comes to dealing with friends and relatives who have mental issues. That's not a stigma when boundaries are done appropriately.

Unlike a physical disorder where somebody can actually see, you honestly don't know if someone is faking or not. Unfortunately there are so many people who "milk the system" that they have given people with true mental problems a bad name.
What I do is focus on the people who lift me up, support me. I cut off those who don't. Even if they are so called "professionals".

In my hometown, I have seen people chained because of their mental health conditions. When I asked the family members why they are doing this, they said it is for the betterment of the patient and other famly members. In some places, mental health patients are treated inhumanely.

Some peoples mental health issues makes them behave more absurd, I try to avoid people like that even if they've poured out lots of toxic comments on me. I simply understand all humans aren't the same, their mental disorder simply played a role in making them behave inhumane.

This is mainly because of education. If people are sick, they are sick because of outside forces, while mental health is considered to be the fault of our own, which some people take it as I am weak or they are weak. Hence many see a mental health problem as a weakness and shun it. Slowly it will change, but as soon as people stop taking pride in it. I don't mean don't admit it, don't mean you shouldn't acknowledge and tell people about it, but some just make it their personality, and it just makes people who suffer feel like someone is making fun of them by putting their mental problems in their twitter bio and tik toc bios n such.