• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Unable to sleep

This is with someone who uses PC all the time. It is really tough to move away from your computer and get to bed. It is really difficult, doctors say we are fooling our biological system with all those lights. And if you care about getting a good nap, turn the lights off, all of them.

I've always found it hard to go to sleep and switch off (had to use medication for a few years to help me drift off). It's gotten better nowadays but it's still a chore at times - I feel like I'm wasting time sleeping and that I could be doing other things or doing things I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I love a good lie-in but that versus doing something? The doing usually wins. I do try my best to switch off though, I always have a day when I really limit my PC usage and before bed, the room is completely darkened with no screens to help aid me into the dreamland.

(had to use medication for a few years to help me drift off).

That is a real challenge. I do not know why we already have to rely on medicine. There has to be some other way, right. Most of the time, doctors help the financial policy of pharma companies. They like to give us more medicine, as much as we can buy or afford.

doing something?

For me, the fallback is some video or music. Or an ebook. Anything that is on a tablet. I skip games though. Not because I hate them, but gaming makes you stay afresh, keep the excitement on. It is almost impossible to sleep after that.

If power is down, the internet is off and smartphones and tablets are on low battery, see how good you sleep. It will be like a baby sleeping. Also being a FB warrior won't help either. We need to stop getting involved in online disputes. The only thing it can do is adversely affect your sleep.

That is a real challenge. I do not know why we already have to rely on medicine. There has to be some other way, right. Most of the time, doctors help the financial policy of pharma companies. They like to give us more medicine, as much as we can buy or afford.

For me, the fallback is some video or music. Or an ebook. Anything that is on a tablet. I skip games though. Not because I hate them, but gaming makes you stay afresh, keep the excitement on. It is almost impossible to sleep after that.

To be honest, I rarely took the medication as I was meant to (which didn't help) as I was a teenager back then and we all know what teens can be like for rebelling! When I did take it though, it was usually after nights were I was either not sleeping at all or just getting 1/2 hours. I used to be able to do that and then still power through an entire day and not need a nap and repeat the next day, hence the medication coming into play! Thankfully on the NHS here it's all free at the point of service so I'm hopeful the big pharma didn't influence too much!

There are still some pockets of medical care that works. Some lone packets where people care of pain and emotion. And we are not a walking flesh bag ready for experimentation.

I rarely took the medication as I was meant to (which didn't help) as I was a teenager

Age can be influential.
we all know what teens can be like for rebelling!

No arguments there :ha ha
Thankfully on the NHS here it's all free at the point of service so I'm hopeful the big pharma didn't influence too much!

Happy to know that there exists some resources that actually is there for help.

Yeah, the NHS is a great resource here in the UK @Harry - it's got it's problems (as does anything) but overall it's been a big help in my life. Both when I needed psychological help but also physical (I was a clumsy teenager!). I remember it being a long process to get my tablets - which from what I understand now we're not officially available through the NHS at the time so I needed special permission - which all my doctors fought for. It's fantastic to see people just wanting to help.

At my worst, I went through a 6-month insomnia phase where I was literally living on 2-3hrs sleep per night.

I had no issue falling asleep, but trying to stay asleep was practically impossible. I'd wake up, and would be fully awake with little chance of getting back to sleep. I often gave up to save myself from the frustration of trying.

I tried all sorts; no caffeine after 18:00, lavender spray on my pillows, probiotic powder in my last drink of the day.. All probably helped to some degree, but eventually I just snapped out of it with no real reason.

Im thankful I have ZZZQUIL,I wouldnt be able to sleep otherwise........

Im sorry to see others are also having problems.....

The more 5G radiation in one's life the more issues. I escaped the big tech boom, I'm much older, but now turn off my computer at 7:30-8:00 PM

I started having sleep issues after menopause and worked and got a sleep combo together and that gives me 8-10- hrs of dreamy restorative sleep.

If you want to hear what I take for my great sleep, say so and I'll post.

My sleep got messed up in 1999 with Fibro issue and started to work out a sleep combo for myself. For someone starting out work with 500 mg Inositol and 1/2 mg to 1mg Melatonin about an hour before you want to hit the pillow. I could tell you more but start with these 2 and see what they do for you.

Sleep is Vital and Healing. Turn off the puter earlier.

No matter what the health experts might be preaching or condemning the fact that people engage often with their PC's. I can never get away my face around the computer, that's simply where I earn the most. I got enough time to reset and feel replenish.