• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Stew

This healthy and easy Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Stew will please every member of your family!

Course Dinner

Cuisine Italian

Keyword italian meatballs, slow cooker italian meatball stew, slow cooker meatballs

Prep Time 20 minutes

Cook Time 4 hours

Total Time 4 hours 20 minutes

Servings

cups

Calories 206 kcal

Author Blair

Ingredients

For the Meatballs:

list of 8 items

1 lb. extra lean ground beef (use at least 96% lean meat, since you will not drain the fat once it's cooked)

1/3 cup Italian style seasoned breadcrumbs

1 egg

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

¾ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon pepper

list end

For the Stew:

list of 10 items

2 carrots, peeled and sliced into bite-sized rounds

6 ounces tomato paste

2 cups beef broth, plus additional (to thin to desired consistency, as needed)

½ cup marinara sauce

1 teaspoon seasoned salt such as Lawry’s

½ teaspoon oregano

½ teaspoon basil

1 (10.8 ounce) package frozen Italian-style vegetables (I used Birds Eye Steamfresh Italian Blend)

Optional, for serving: cooked pasta or rice

Optional garnish: fresh parsley; fresh basil

list end

Instructions

list of 6 items

1. Place carrots in bottom of slow cooker.

2. In a large bowl, use hands or a fork to gently combine meatball ingredients. Form meat mixture into 1-inch balls.

3. Place meatballs on top of carrots in the slow cooker.

4. In a separate bowl, combine tomato paste, broth, marinara, seasoned salt, oregano, and basil. Pour over meatballs.

5. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours or on HIGH for about 2 hours. For a thinner soup rather than a stew, add extra broth until it reaches desired

consistency.

6. Steam vegetables in microwave just until crisp-tender (about 3-4 minutes). Stir vegetables into stew and serve over pasta or rice, if desired. Garnish

with fresh parsley or fresh basil.

list end

Recipe Notes

COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:

list of 7 items

• This recipe yields 6 cups of stew, which serves 3-4 people. If you're feeding a larger family, I recommend doubling all of the ingredients. The cooking

instructions remain the same.

• I used the Italian vegetables here, which include broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots and red bell pepper. You can substitute with an equal amount

of any frozen vegetables that you prefer!

• I steam the vegetables in the microwave before adding them to the meatball stew. This allows me to control the tenderness of the vegetables and prevents

overcooked, mushy veggies.

• You can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken in place of the beef. Just make sure that whatever meat you use is at least 96% lean, since you will

not be draining the meat after it's cooked. You don't want any extra grease in your stew.

• Use your hands or a fork to gently combine the beef mixture, being careful not to over-mix (that will result in a tough, dry meatball).

• This is a thick stew with minimal broth. If you want a thinner consistency so that it's more like a soup, just add extra beef broth at the end.

• I serve my kids' stew over pasta or rice, which they love.

list end

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (1 cup)

Calories 206 Calories from Fat 45

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 5g 8%

Saturated Fat 2g 10%

Cholesterol 75mg 25%

Sodium 1318mg 55%

Potassium 1032mg 29%

Total Carbohydrates 16g 5%

Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

Sugars 6g

Protein 23g 46%

Vitamin A 86%

Vitamin C 65.9%

Calcium 9.3%

Iron 20.9%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

From the seasoned mom

_._,_._,_