• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Hi everyone I’m new to all this, I’m 34 I’ve had anxiety since I was young but was never diagnosed as coming from a Indian family it was never considered to have existed, as I got older I managed to cope by keeping my self to myself, until I got married and lived with husbands family, which was a large one at that, this is where my anxiety got worse and with it depression, I’m British so I’m more western than some of the family members, but living upto a Indian family standards as a daughter inlaw was difficult, there’s a lot of control over power and status, living with each other seems like everything is a competition, as I don’t have children I get the this feeling like I’m not normal or the odd one out, however my husband is very supportive but I don’t like to tell him my feelings to much because it’s his family and it’s not easy hearing stuff all the time, I feel like a broken record, we now have our own place, but I still have up and down days but mainly when I’m around certain members of the family, any advice or tips

Hi everyone I’m new to all this, I’m 34 I’ve had anxiety since I was young but was never diagnosed as coming from a Indian family it was never considered to have existed, as I got older I managed to cope by keeping my self to myself, until I got married and lived with husbands family, which was a large one at that, this is where my anxiety got worse and with it depression, I’m British so I’m more western than some of the family members, but living upto a Indian family standards as a daughter inlaw was difficult, there’s a lot of control over power and status, living with each other seems like everything is a competition, as I don’t have children I get the this feeling like I’m not normal or the odd one out, however my husband is very supportive but I don’t like to tell him my feelings to much because it’s his family and it’s not easy hearing stuff all the time, I feel like a broken record, we now have our own place, but I still have up and down days but mainly when I’m around certain members of the family, any advice or tips

:welcome1 to the forum @Binks
Sorry that you have been finding it hard to cope but well done in you and your husband getting your own place. I know it is difficult talking about your In-laws with your husband but if he has been supportive to you then I would try and talk with him. Sounds like you lived in a very difficult household.