Memory issues with depression?

Nerdface

Motivated Member
Reaction score
I always thought that I had a pretty good memory, that was until I started with depression. Initially I thought that it might be a side-effect of the medication, but it wasn't listed as such and the doctor said it was more likely to be the depression itself.

Sure enough, even after coming off medication my memory is still shot to pieces. My long-term memory seems to be largely intact, but it seems to bits of (not all) short-term memory that I struggle to retain, and my intermediate-term memory is incredibly patchy..

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the mind trying to protect itself? 🤔

Butterfly88

Community Assistant
Reaction score
I have heard of trouble concentrating due to depression. So perhaps you didn't concentrate on whatever it was so therefore you don't remember as well? Otherwise I'm not sure.

Elya

Kind Member
Reaction score
I always thought that I had a pretty good memory, that was until I started with depression. Initially I thought that it might be a side-effect of the medication, but it wasn't listed as such and the doctor said it was more likely to be the depression itself.

Sure enough, even after coming off medication my memory is still shot to pieces. My long-term memory seems to be largely intact, but it seems to bits of (not all) short-term memory that I struggle to retain, and my intermediate-term memory is incredibly patchy..

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the mind trying to protect itself? 🤔
my memorie is shit too

Jay

Kind Member
Reaction score
Gee thanks.
But seriously even when i was a bit younger the memory thing was off, I can remember lots of my childhood but last week bits and pieces.
I remember the important stuff.

Elya

Kind Member
Reaction score
Gee thanks.
But seriously even when i was a bit younger the memory thing was off, I can remember lots of my childhood but last week bits and pieces.
I remember the important stuff.
yeah :)

Reactions: Jay

Shole

Motivated Member
Reaction score
Depression messes with your brain and it might cause some problems. What happens to me is that I just forget due to not wanting to hurt myself, that's how my depression programmed me. If it's something that might hurt me I forget it the second I hear it. That translated into things I am not interested, so now I try to keep my memory up by playing games and trying to do more like calculations in my mind not using a calculator and it seems to work.

Top Bottom