• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How mechanically inclined are you?

How mechanically inclined are you?

My husband doesn't like to spend money to fix things and expects me to learn how to do repairs so we can save money. We're both extremely frugal but I've gotten to the point where I don't want to be the fixer upper person. I want to hire people to do things for us.

I fix all my own stuff. Whatever it is. But there's some things not worth messin with. Inexpensively replaceable stuff like smart phones for example.

But everything else, I fix. Plumbing heating air conditioning. Electrical. Roof. Glass and windows. Mechanical like car, truck, equipment. Computers, TVs, audio equipment. Whatever it is.

I'd never insist though, that my female companion learn this stuff or expect her to do any of it. This is what she has me around for! I did have one shack job years ago though who wanted to learn some stuff and I happily taught her.

For me it's never been about saving money, it's all about independence and self reliance. I don't like being beholden to some dude's schedule. Is that dude even competent? I feel pity for folks who must call for service, for everything.

I fix all my own stuff. Whatever it is. But there's some things not worth messin with. Inexpensively replaceable stuff like smart phones for example.

But everything else, I fix. Plumbing heating air conditioning. Electrical. Roof. Glass and windows. Mechanical like car, truck, equipment. Computers, TVs, audio equipment. Whatever it is.

I'd never insist though, that my female companion learn this stuff or expect her to do any of it. This is what she has me around for! I did have one shack job years ago though who wanted to learn some stuff and I happily taught her.

For me it's never been about saving money, it's all about independence and self reliance. I don't like being beholden to some dude's schedule. Is that dude even competent? I feel pity for folks who must call for service, for everything.

My husband grew up with his dad not knowing how to do things so they relied on contractors. My dad, on the other hand, didn't have money to pay for help and relied on his own knowledge and friends and family. So when I moved out of the house when I got married, I always asked my dad to come help and he taught me a great deal. It's just that I'm so tired of being the one to do things or having to learn how to do things. I am not strong enough to do plumbing work or some other mechanical things and it gets frustrating.