• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

How long before you stop meds

How long will we have to live with the idea of taking medicines after we got cured ? I have a friend who is very well and in good condition. But he was told that he would need regular doses for another 2 years. It was so depressing by itself. If someone is alright, what is the point of taking more meds ? It is not 3 months or 6 months. They are talking about years.

Medication cycles depend on what is being treated and on each individual. We put our trust in the medical professionals and hope they prescribe the medications for the correct amount of time.

While I completely agree that medical practitioners are nothing than god, the devil is always around to spoil the party. There are people who set targets and want to meet them. There is a hospital I had to visit. And they make you go through all sort of procedure. If it is a headache, you need to do an MRI scan, which is not cheap.

For me I think it's likely I will be on meds forever.
That is challenging. Is there no other option ? The biggest problems with medicines are they will stop you from earning some money to get things going. Most of the people somehow manage to get around. But for some, unless they generate enough income, they will have to take refuge in sub-standard care.

Medication cycles depend on what is being treated and on each individual. We put our trust in the medical professionals and hope they prescribe the medications for the correct amount of time.
I'm going to pin down my cardiologist and find out if the goal of my treatment is to get off the meds or just to remain reliant on them. I think now, five years in, it's an important distinction. I want off them, especially the statin.

That is challenging. Is there no other option ? The biggest problems with medicines are they will stop you from earning some money to get things going. Most of the people somehow manage to get around. But for some, unless they generate enough income, they will have to take refuge in sub-standard care.
I don't really see any other options unfortunately. :( I'm on Medicaid so things are covered. Not always the best care but I've been lucky enough to find some decent doctors.

Let us hope it is always helpful.

I would say if they are not able to give a normal life, what is the use of taking the help. I know we should not be so straightforward about this. But sir, I want a normal life like anyone else. I have paid enough, did everything you said for years now. Now please tell me whether this is going to go on for life or am I ever going to get out of this.

You should come off your medication if you feel like it's not working or having negative effects on you, but you should speak to your doctor first and make them aware. Part of the problem is that medication works well enough for some people that after a while it makes you think you don't need them when actually you still do. It's so difficult and everyone is different though aren't they?

I think that staying on medications for any specified time after working through issues, is pretty well a mix between how well you have recovered from something, and with consultation with a doctor on an approach. Some medications can be weaned off easily, with others not so much. There are also some medications that have similarly desired affects that can be achieved, without having to take stronger medications.

Biggest thing I have seen, is that if I or someone else I know is trying to get off of something, breaking up a pill to be smaller, or getting a multi-dose prescription that has the same total combined amount that can be taken in smaller doses, does seem to help with getting off of medications that are needed in some form. The couple of times I took certain pain medications that I was prescribed after a couple surgeries I went through, I had to wean off of the pain killer, by getting the prescription ibuprofen to alternate with the pain killer.

I totally agree with @Joshua Farrell regarding weaning off medications.

I've done that with 2 medications previously (valium and a sleeping pill). I've been completely off both for quite a long time. I'm currently trying to wean off my last medicine (an antidepressant I take primarily for sleep). I'm down to a quarter of the dose so I'm nearly off it now.

That's pure devastating abeg, I wouldn't live through drugs. I simply prefer taking medicines for some time and getting over it and continue my normal activities without living on them.

Listening to your doctor is a wise thing but sometimes you need to go to a different doctor for a second opinion. If they both agree then listen to them. If they differ then find a 3rd opinion. Even doctors can be wrong.