• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Question Have you ever fired a gun?

I was in Cadets as a teenager so yes I have fired one. Hated it though .............

One important thing I learned is not to fire it with eyes shut - made that mistake ............

Whether i would remember how to fit the bullet thing onto the gun and fire it idk

the cartridge thing at cadets liked whacking me i do remember that

I've never fired a "gun." I have fired rifles, pistols, shotguns. Squirt guns. Potato guns. I am very well trained in the use, storage and safety of firearms. "Firearms" is the term for general use.

i'll just call them long things that go bang :eek:

i very much doubt cadets would be allowed now to let a bunch of high school kids loose with anything that fires bullets (i remember we got told the bullets were made safe or something), when i was in cadets was 2001 to 2003

edit: i'm in the UK

another edit: i dont really know the difference between all the ones you said, they all fire bullets ..........

By the way I used to have a Marlin .22 caliber rifle, 5-power scope... Semi-automatic holds 18 rounds in the magazine. Regularly hit dimes at 100 yards. Much entertainment with that, shooting last years' phone books. Instant graffiti with every hit!

i dont trust things that send bullets flying in all directions
Me either. Fortunately firearms only send slugs where they are directed by the operator.

Campfires though? Or any other fire? If you toss ammunition in one of those you will have bullets flying in all directions. That's one of the dangers for firemen - if there's ammo in the house or not. I store mine in a fire-proof safe. Most responsible firearms owners do.

Education gets rid of fear and reduces danger.

I did hear that over there in the USA your not allowed to store bullets with the firearm thing? is that the case? idk

over here the only time anyone handles a firearm thing is if they in the army, cadets, or certain people in the police

so we dont have the thing of "are we allowed to store bullets and things with it" cause people dont have them here

I did hear that over there in the USA your not allowed to store bullets with the firearm thing? is that the case? idk
States have different laws regarding firearm and ammo storage. Just depends on where you are.

they can go bang by themself though i do know that one
Never seen one do that or ever even heard of it. Toss it in a fire? Sure. They have to be loaded and they have to be cocked and then the trigger has to be pulled. It's a myth that bumping them sets them off. Had them and used them for well over 40 years.

I suppose if you had one that is in disrepair or damaged, or very early ones that didn't have any safety features, you could have an accidental discharge. This is considered a malfunction.

I did some target shooting with my Dad's Smith & Wesson .22 & .38 revolvers at his gun range when I was in my early 20's. His club used to shoot in competitions with the police and FBI. He made me shoot competition style standing sideways using only one hand. Not so easy.

I Iiked shooting the .22 but the .38 spooked me a bit. I wasn't prepared for the recoil and I swear that thing spit fire. One of the club members brought in a "Dirty Harry Special" the double-action Smith & Wesson Model 29 44-cal. Magnum revolver which was not allowed at the club because it damaged the walls behind the targets. The club members were all oohing and ahhing over it and he did take one shot with it. Talk about spitting fire!!!

My Pop at the club

lK9igm.jpg

Last edited:
That is something I've been wanting to learn. Haven't found someone to teach me yet lol While I'm not into hunting, I do want to learn self-defense which includes having a gun.