• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Family

Can you survive without your family ? Stay abroad for job or study and use video calls to survive your need to meet your family ? I would try my best not to do that. It is really hard to miss people we love.

Some people have stay away due to work-related restrictions. Not everyone can follow us when we get a transfer.

Whilst I love my family, I'm quite a 'solo' person - I think it would be quite easy for me to move to another country and whilst I would worry/miss them, not to the point that I would want to return home. When I've been abroad for a couple weeks before, I've realised I don't miss home or anything like that. Especially nowadays when it's so easy to just fire up WhatsApp or something and have a video call, makes it more personal than just a text.

I had to stay away from home for years. For study, work and a lot of other reasons. It was ok for me. Only because the job at hand whether it was to study or earn bread and butter was more important than silly emotions. I really wanted to go home as soon as possible. But not as a failed man. A lot of us spend time hunting success, social success to be exact.

How do you manage ? While I like my privacy a lot, it is really monotonous to not have anyone around. Me alone in a big space is too much unless that is a scenic beauty and I am looking at the sun through the clouds.

How do you manage ? While I like my privacy a lot, it is really monotonous to not have anyone around. Me alone in a big space is too much unless that is a scenic beauty and I am looking at the sun through the clouds.

I can only talk in ways of a trip I took - as I haven't been away from home for work/study reasons - but I took a few weeks once just chilling in north Italy. I went for the express purpose of leaving my current life back in the UK for a few weeks and to get away from everything as it would help me recharge. I set aside a bit of time each night to let people know I was OK but other than that, I took it upon myself to fully embrace where I was, eat local/see local things and that took the monotony of being alone away. At night, it was a case of flicking on Netflix on my iPad and heading to the pizza shop down the road (I ate a lot of pizza during those weeks...). By the end of my stay, they knew me as the "English Guy" or the "No Basil" guy haha - was hilarious having that shouted at me as I went in!