• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Does January bring eating disorder stress?

January is that month where everyone wants to work off the weight put on over the holidays. For people with eating disorders, does that bring extra stress for you?

I don't have eating disorders, at least I am better off at the moment, my eating habits stays intact it didn't increase nor decreased. The year simply restarted, meaning, we keep up our daily routine activities.

I tend to overeat during festivals and celebrations, however, once the festivities are over, I strictly control my diet and shed the extra pounds I gained during the holidays.

In all honesty, I feel as if the new year's resolutions cause us to fall hard. Some people have resolutions that they never meet, and it causes some form of motivational boundary. When we say we are going to lose weight, we start out with a lot of willpower, but as time goes on we don't see the results we desire and we go back to our old ways and end up eating more than we did originally because we've deprived ourselves of the food we would normally eat.

In all honesty, I feel as if the new year's resolutions cause us to fall hard. Some people have resolutions that they never meet, and it causes some form of motivational boundary. When we say we are going to lose weight, we start out with a lot of willpower, but as time goes on we don't see the results we desire and we go back to our old ways and end up eating more than we did originally because we've deprived ourselves of the food we would normally eat.

I see this happening a lot too and not just for people with eating disorders. I know that the more I deprive myself of some foods that I crave them more and more until I finally cave in and eat or drink them. I really do have good intentions to lose at least 10 pounds and then when I finally lose one or two I find myself celebrating...with food. That's a bad circular path to keep taking.